You Are More Important Than A Number On A Scale

"Sexy is a state of mind"

201
Cosmo

As I walked with a scale across Walmart ready to purchase, I questioned when I had let a number on a scale to define my happiness. I have never been a size zero or anything near it; however, some of my friends have. I have watched them critique their bodies complaining about the fat they had on their stomach that I could not seem to see. I have heard them make endless negative comments about their body appearance and the need to eat healthy and exercise. I have watched shows, read books, flipped through magazines, and heard similar things first hand throughout my life.

I have tried dieting, counting calories, working out, detox, and diet pills. I have never found something to stick or keep off the pounds which has helped create a negative image of how I appear in the mirror. With a new goal to loose a certain amount of pounds before the summer, I have been focused on monitoring calories, workouts, and lost pounds. I will admit I have begun to feel happier as the pounds have come off and feel more confident, but at what expense.

I have become obsessed with looking at different before and after photos of individuals that have lost weight. I use it as motivation to remind myself of what is to come when I reach my goal. However, one day as I was scrolling through pictures I came across a video of Ashley Graham. I began watching different video interviews and reading about her. Her words definitely resonated and hit hard.

Here are some of her top quotes to help remind yourself to LOVE you!

1. "There is not one standard definition of beauty or one perfect size."

Regardless of what the media showcases on magazines or on the runway, there is NOT one standard definition of beauty. You are beauty. Do not let anyone tell you otherwise.

2. "Love yourself. Be proud of who you are."

This is so important. If you don't love yourself how do you expect others to? It was the hardest thing to do. My family and friends have always said I look beautiful, but there were times I did not feel so as I compared my body with my friends and those around me. But it is so important to love you to love your skin and all of you. As I started loving myself everything else began to fall into place.

3. "I know my curves are sexy and I want everyone else to know that theirs are too. There is no reason to hide and every reason to flaunt."

After hearing her say this, I bought my first bikini. I usually wore swimming skirts or shorts to cover my legs. I did not love the way they looked in the mirror, so I felt no one else wanted to see them. However, as she says there is NO reason to hide them. As I stood in front of the mirror in my new bikini with confidence, I truly felt my curves were "sexy", and I needed to stop hiding them.

4. "It doesn't matter if you're a size 2 or 22, you can be healthy as long as you're taking care of your body, working out, and telling yourself 'I love you' instead of taking in the negativity of beauty standards."

This is so important. I know so many friends that are sizes in between those numbers that are taking in the negativity of beauty standards. I was exercising and taking care of my body, but I failed to tell myself 'I love you'. That key ingredient was missing from making me feel healthy and better about myself. It is incredible what the power of loving your body does.

5. "I don't want women to hold themselves back. I think there are too many women who are self-conscious about the way they look - they way they see themselves in the mirror

This definitely hit hard. There have been so many times I turned down pool parties because I was nervous for others to see the body "I hated". I would pass up opportunities of fun with my friends because I was so insecure about my body. The fact that I was self-conscious of my body prevented me from several activities growing up. As I have begun to love my body and feel healthier I walk with confidence in regardless what I wear. It is true confidence is the best accessory.

I am so grateful I stumbled upon Ashley Graham's powerful words that are so true. It has taken me many years to truly love my body, and I know it will continue to be an ongoing process. I am loving my body as I keep exercising and eating healthy while removing the negative beauty standards that have clouded my brain for so many years. I hope anyone who is struggling with their body image will realize they are beautiful and embrace every part of their body.