Why Trying To Live 'The Perfect Life ' Won't Make You Happy

We all have this picture of what our life should be, but is that the best thing?

295

We all have a mindset of what we think our lives should be. Kind of like a wish, maybe what we dream about at night. Maybe it's the perfect life with the perfect friends or maybe it's the perfect family or boyfriend. You dream that one day you will wake up and your life will be what you always dreamed. But you never do anything about it.

Recently, I have been going through this thing in my life. I call it a "thing" because I really don't know what it is. Maybe it's me trying to find myself, but it's me falling back into these same traps that I always have. The same traps where I look back into my dreams of what I want my life to be.

I'm not saying having dreams are bad because dreams are a great thing. I think everyone should have dreams. But the dreams I'm talking about are the ones that take away from you actually living.

I don't mean in the sense if your heart beating and a blood flow. I mean truly and honestly living your life to the fullest. Too many times I find myself getting down on myself because I am not where I imagine myself in terms of athletic ability, or in my non-existent love life or thousands of other little things.

But instead of being down on myself, I should be out there living my life. Not being down because I don't have a date to that social or I didn't win the golf tournament. I mean, these things matter, but in 20 years do you want to remember being holed up in your room upset over these things? When I look back, even just now, I see what I missed when I let these things get to me. And I hope you don't let these silly things get to you.

It's perfectly fine to sit and dream about what a perfect life could be, but honestly, how many people do you know that actually live a perfect life? No one. Even if it seems that they have everything going for them, there is some skeleton in their closet, something that they hide from everyone that no one ever sees. So, why waste your time on trying to achieve perfection and something that won't ever be a reality when you have so much right in front of you this very moment?

There are 864,000 seconds in a day, why waste even one when there is nothing but endless possibilities your mind can't even comprehend that are so much greater than your "perfect" life?