How To Morally Vote Conservative This Election

I have conservative values, but I don't want to betray my morals when I vote, either.
7

I absolutely love following politics and government affairs. Nothing gets me going more than a good roundtable discussion on MSNBC. 2016 is the first Presidential election I'm old enough to vote in, so you can imagine how disappointed I am.

I mean, here I am, all fresh-faced and starry-eyed, ready to enter that voting booth like a debutante at the Cotillion, and my choices on the ballot are a sexist pig or a manipulative liar. Well, THAT knocks my excitement down a few pegs...

I mean, what am I supposed to do? I am passionately conservative. I believe in small government, I'm pro-life, and for the most part, I support the 2nd amendment (with some rational restrictions). I like listening to Sean Hannity, I wish I was alive for the Reagan years, and I wholeheartedly believe Mitt Romney, Jeb Bush, John McCain or Carly Fiorina would have made great presidents. I want our country to go in a conservative direction. I want the vote I cast to reflect my beliefs AND my values. But, can it really do that if I vote for Donald Trump?

Donald Trump, a man who insults women's integrity and value, doesn't pay taxes, manipulates the economy, and makes racist remarks. This is not a conservative, this is a bigot. Some people may say there's no difference, but I believe there is. Being conservative does not mean one has to talk and act like they're straight out of the 1940's or 50's, before many groups in our country reached the equality they've fought long and hard to get. He makes me uncomfortable as a woman. Donald Trump says things that make him, quite frankly, a jerk, and I can't morally vote for a jerk.

But then who do I vote for? Hillary Clinton? I need to think not only of my moral standards, but also my conservative views and the direction I want to see the country go. I know some people think Clinton's agenda is best, but I politely disagree. And unfortunately, I do believe that voting for a 3rd party candidate is basically the same as giving my vote to Clinton. And there's no way I'm skipping my first election - it's my duty as a citizen who has an opinion to vote, and I've been dreaming of this day for a long time!

So what's a female Christian conservative to do? Betray her morals and vote for Trump, or betray her politics and vote for Clinton? Skip her civil duty of voting?

I have a better idea and it actually comes from Candace Cameron Bure, star of "The View", "Fuller House", and "Dancing With The Stars". I was being completely unproductive and watching "The View" the other day, and when she said her plan for voting this year, I knew it was exactly what I want to do to, too.

Bure said her plan is this: she won't betray any of her values, because she won't be voting for President. But she still plans on voting. She is going to abstain from voting for President, but will vote conservative down the line for everything else, from Senate to School Board.

The president isn't the only one who makes big decisions in our government- from who goes on the Supreme Court to what laws get put into motion, the other leaders we pick this November matter, too. My hope is that no matter who is president, my vote will make a difference in how this country runs.

I don't plan on betraying any side of my beliefs this November, but I do plan on excercising my right as an American citizen and voting for what I believe really will make America great.