Moonlight: A Cinematic Examination of Black Masculinity

28

This week I had the distinct pleasure of being able to go to a free screening of Director and writer Barry Jenkins new critically acclaimed film Moonlight. And much like many of the critics before me I found myself blown away by the technical beauty of the film and the interesting story that the movie presented. The movie also featured some incredibly creative shots an some compelling acting from the entire cast.

However the thing that stuck the most with me about Moonlight was that unlike any other film that I had ever seen this movie explored Black Masculinity in the most raw and honest way. The film tackles themes such as sexual Identity, Lack of a Father figure, Destructive relationships with women, and The danger of Hyper masculinity. The films protagonist Chiron has to endure all if these hardships through childhood, His Teenage years , and finally he is able to have freedom as an adult to once and for all address these issues. Jenkins could have chosen to tackle this story in a more subtle way so that this movie could make viewers would be more comfortable. But Instead he opts fro the brave approach that challenges homophobia and what black masculinity looks like. I challenges the audience to look past its own discomfort and accept new ideas which is the mark of a film that will stand the test of time.

Grade: A+