How To Spend A Month In Tokyo

How To Spend A Month In Tokyo

31 of the best activities and sights in and around Tokyo, Japan.

538
How To Spend A Month In Tokyo
Jaycee Malicdan

Whether you're a native, an expat, or a visitor, Tokyo has so much to offer. The diversity of cultural, religious, fun, culinary and natural sites the region encompasses is a major factor that has lead to the city's worldwide fame as a popular tourist destination. With so much variety, these 31 day trip ideas are sure to satisfy any traveler's wanderlust—Tokyo style.

1. Visit Asakusa, walk around Sensō-ji temple and take a ride down the Sumida River.

Sensō-ji is a Buddhist temple built in the 7th Century -- arguably the most famous temple in modern-day Tokyo for tourists and locals alike. Now surrounded by gift shops and snack stands, the temple can be accessed by foot through the famous shopping street, Nakamise. After walking around the beautiful ancient temple and getting your fill of kawaii souvenirs, stroll down to the Sumida River where you can catch a ride on a water bus. With unforgettable views of the famous Tokyo sky-line, a relaxing cruise down the river is the perfect ending to a day in Tokyo.

2. Experience a Japanese baseball game.

The two most popular teams in the area are the Yokohama Bay Stars and the Yomiuri Giants. For foreigners and locals alike, baseball games are a time to cheer on your favorite players, eat some traditional snacks, such as takoyaki (flour-based batter filled with octopus, grilled into a little ball shape), and indulge in an Asahi beer (for those over the legal Japanese drinking age of 20, of course).

3. Stroll the island of Enoshima.

A doable train ride away from Tokyo (1-3 hours depending on your starting location) Enoshima is an island about 4km in circumference, located at the mouth of the Katase River. The island is accessible by a pedestrian bridge, as well as by ferries that travel to the far side of the island regularly for a small fee of about ¥400. Visitors can purchase a one day passport, Eno Pass (¥1000 for adults, ¥500 for children), from the Enoshima visitors center, Odakyu Train station or various other locations, all listed on their website. The Eno Pass grants visitors entrance to most attractions on the island, as well as discounts in certain shops or restaurants. The Eno Pass also allows tourists access to escalators that lead to the top of the hill, where they can enter the lighthouse observation tower for breathtaking sights of the surrounding area (if it's clear day you may even be able to spot Fuji-San in the distance). While the front side of the island is spotted with restaurants, temples and shops, the far side of the island offers caves, rocky shores and more quaint food stands. A day spent on the beautiful island of Enoshima is sure to excite, but if none of the cultural sights intrigue, there is also an aquarium on the main-land with impressive displays of many local marine life species.

4. See the giants of Kamakura and Ofuna.

Kamakura, home to the famous 13.35m tall Daibutsu (Great Buddha), is a seaside city just south of Tokyo. The ride to the town on public transit is a beautiful street-car-like train trip along the coast on the Enoden railway line. A direct shot from Kamakura Station on the JR Yokosuka line, Ofuna is home to another large (although less well-known) statue. Unlike the Great Buddha at the Kōtoku-in temple, the white statue that adorns the Ōfuna Kannon temple is the goddess of mercy. Ofuna is an ideal destination if you wish to escape the tourist crowds of Kamakura, as the temple's visitors typically consist of about 60 percent locals and only 40 percent foreigners.

5. Explore the iconic streets of modern Harajuku and the ancient Meiji Jingu Shinto Shrine.

Shintoism, a uniquely Japanese religion that has no holy book, no founder and no concept of religious conversion, is the religion of the famous Meiji Jingu Shrine in downtown Tokyo/Harajuku area. As the religion places great emphasis on harmony with nature, the forests of the shrine cover 70 hectares (170 acres) of land. The vast amount of trees stands out starkly against the tall skyscrapers that surround the shrine. After a morning of meandering through the gardens and buildings of the shrine, make your way to Harajuku, where the bustling city streets of Takeshita Dori are lined with stores and often full of anime fans dressed up in cosplay (costume play). With the meeting of old and new, the Harajuku area is a unique and interesting place to see ancient practices and pop culture coexist.

6. Visit the artificial island of Odaiba.

Odaiba, a man-made island in the Tokyo Bay, is the perfect day trip. Away from the city a bit, the island offers outstanding views of the iconic Tokyo skyline and the famous Rainbow Bridge (a white bridge that is lit up with colorful lights after dark). Half amusement park half shopping complex, Palette Town is a region of the island that offers attractions for all ages. The island also houses Joypolis (indoor amusement park/arcade), Madam Tussauds wax museum, an onsen (hot springs), many shopping centers and lots of fun museums. Access to the island is available, most easily, by public train or boat.

7. Walk and shop among the busy streets of Shibuya.

Shibuya is an area of Tokyo that is known primarily for it's congested "Times-Square-like" intersection and the touching story of Hachiko, the dog who waited for his master by the train station even after he had passed away. There is a statue of the well-known Akita in the square adjacent to the famous intersection. Visitors from around the world flock to Shibuya to witness the immense amount of people that passes through the streets, as well as to peruse the thousands of modern and traditional shops that surround the area. Get your own photo with the famous statue and enjoy the sites of modern tokyo on this day trip.

8. Watch a film in a Japanese theatre and sing some karaoke.

Japanese movie theatres are unique from American theatres in many aspects -- the biggest of which being the full meals sold there. No need to smuggle in lunch, you can purchase a tray of food from the concession stand that often fits nicely into your seat's armrest to avoid any unwanted spills during the movie. Most theatres have clearly-marked distinctions between their Japanese and English showings, so finding a screening you can understand is not a worry. After the flick, grab some buds or go solo to one of the countless karaoke bars, located on nearly every corner in Tokyo. Karaoke (カラオケ) is a Japanese word (you may find you pronounce it funny, after visiting Japan), and it's still a popular pastime across the country. Japanese karaoke bars feature individual rooms, so embarrassment isn't an issue. These karaoke bars often include different-sized rooms to accommodate to any group size. Sing your heart out to American or Japanese hits, stay as long as you like and pay for your time used at the end (but be wary that most joints raise their prices during evening and night hours, so be careful you don't find yourself with an unexpected bill too big for your wallet to handle).

9. See the animals at the Ueno Zoo and explore Ueno Park.

The Ueno Zoological Gardens, founded in 1882, is the oldest zoo in Japan. Home to over 400 species of animals, the zoo offers visitors a more quiet refuge, slightly hidden from the noise of the busy streets. The zoo is a brief five minute walk from Ueno Station. After seeing all the life inside the zoo, you can make your way to the rest of Ueno Park, where there are many famous museums, the beautiful Shinobazu Pond and many great cherry blossom viewing spots during the spring, as the park comes alive with the pink flowers, known as sakura.

10. Walk through the Imperial Palace garden and travel through Tokyo Station.

The ancient Edo Castle, the Imperial Palace, is home to Japan's Imperial Family. The gates are closed to the public, except through guided tours or on two special holidays. On January 2 and December 23, the gates of the palace are open to the public in celebration of the New Year and Emperor's Birthday, respectively. If you can't get a guided tour or make it for one of the two open days, you could always enjoy the Imperial Palace East Gardens, which are open to the public year-round for no charge. After taking in your fill of the gardens and palace views, make the short walk to Tokyo Station, where you can see the unique architecture of the structure, shop in the large complex and catch a train to just about anywhere in Japan (if you get lost, don't feel scared to refer to the "point and speak" map provided on the station's official website).

11. Sail Yokohama and explore Chinatown.

Yokohama is a city just south of Tokyo, directly on the bay. This city encompasses an amusement park with a large ferris wheel (Cosmo Clock 21), many large shopping malls (Landmark Tower, Queen's Square, World Porters, to name a few), the Cup Noodle Museum, the Ramen Museum, Yamashita Park and the beautiful Tokyo Bay. The views of the water and nearby bridges is beautiful on a clear day, when you can walk out on to the Osanbashi Yokohama International Passenger Terminal. You can continue to walk down the coast and right into Chinatown, or stop at the bay for a cruise. Dinner in Chinatown is a fun experience, where you can try new cuisines such as duck, dumplings, hot pots, and many other traditional Chinese, Cantonese, and Japanese dishes. This area also boasts colorful buildings and temples in traditional Chinese styles.

12. Shop and play with squirrels in Machida.

Although this is a bit outside of Tokyo, it is a popular destination for visitors coming from the Zama/Atsugi communities. Machida is a bustling city-center with many allies and roads lined with restaurants, shops and boutiques -- perfect for a morning or afternoon out. The Machida Squirrel Garden is a short bus ride from the Machida train station (take bus number 53 or 55 from bus stop number 21, and get off at the Yakushiike stop). Here, you can enter a fenced area that contains about 200 Taiwan risu, or Taiwanese squirrels. You can even purchase small bags of sunflowers seeds to feed the friendly critters.

13. Ascend the famous Tokyo Tower.

The famous red and white tower is a staple of the Tokyo skyline, and a fun day trip to let you see the city from above. Consider stopping for lunch at one of Japan's famous sushi-go-rounds or other delicious options, then going to the tower in time for sunset. Day or night, the views from both levels of the observation decks are stunning.

14. Relax and frolic in Yoyogi Park.

Ideal for a relaxing picnic or weekend get-away (Saturday is best for a more quiet day, while Sunday is the best day for excitement and lots of activity), Yoyogi Park is near Harajuku and the Imperial Palace. On Sundays, you can see groups of rockabilly and hip-hop dancers practicing on the sidewalk while musicians and ball-players dot the fields. There are also sporadic festivals throughout the year. It's a time to see Japanese culture in a way many never do, which is why it is a must-do on any visit to Tokyo. Grab some hot or cold food from a local convenience store, lay out a blanket and relax -- or join in the fun by bringing music, balls, Frisbees, bubbles or other small toys and treats to play with and share.

15. Get away from the city and hike Mount Takao.

Mount Takao offers hiking trails for all fitness and experience levels (even a stroller-friendly paved path). The main paths up also include shops, shrines and stands along the way up. The top of the mountain has a restaurant and shop with commemorative ink stamps. The views from the top are gorgeous, along with the beautiful seasonal foliage that lines the mountain and surrounding areas (perfect in fall when it's cooler and the leaves are changing). There is even a small monkey park on the path which can act as a fun way to break up the walk for little ones.

16. Explore the Mount Fuji area.

If you are there in the summer, consider climbing the mountain, or enjoying winter sports such as skiing if you are there in the winter months and have a few days to spare. If you want to see the mountain without the physical strain, you can visit the five lakes region, which has beautiful views and fun festivals for all seasons. For an adrenaline-filled day, visit the amusement park, Fuji-Q Highlands, which has some of the greatest record-breaking coasters in the world.

17. Cuddle at an animal cafe or dine in a new way.

Tokyo is well-known for being home to some of the most unique cafes and restaurants in the world. Among the cute, traditional, and hip cafes, there are some that stand out by having furry friends join in the fun. Cat cafes, bird cafes and rabbit cafes are some examples. This animal cafes are the perfect place to relieve stress and relax with some sweet pets. For dinner, if you are still feeling adventurous, go to a spooky prison, crazy Alice Wonderland, ancient Japan or modern robot party by trying out one of Tokyo's many themed restaurants.

18. Rise, shine, and go to the Tsukiji fish market.

The Tsukiji fish market, located in central Tokyo near Ginza, is home to one of the largest live fish auctions and markets in the world. However, to catch the main part of the action, you should plan to arrive at the market early, which could mean staying overnight nearby. To save money and experience a unique part of Japanese culture, you can opt to stay in a manga cafe. There is also the option of a hotel nearby, either traditional Japanese or modern Western style. Whether you decide to stay the night before or not, once you have arrived at the market, it's delightful to wander through the streets lined with food stands, trying new things and seeing the sales going on. Unfortunately, you will only be able to explore the outer regions of the market, as they are no longer allowing tourists to go inside the main auction area due to overcrowding and over-popularity.

19. Watch a sumo tournament.

If you are in Tokyo during one the tournaments, you can purchase tickets online or at a local convenience store to go see a sumo match live. Most tournaments begin early with amateur wrestlers and end with more advanced wrestlers, and subsequently, larger more enthusiastic crowds. There are also typically many Japanese drinks and snacks sold within the tournament arena.

20. Visit the Zoorasia Yokohama Zoological Gardens.

AKA, Zoorasia, this zoo has a variety of wildlife. It's one of Tokyo's newest and best-kept zoos, with its animals divided into sections based on where they are from. The zoo is a great day trip to get away from the hustle and bustle of the city for a while and enjoy nature.

21. Look at the schedule and go to a festival.

Throughout Japan, for all different seasons, events and holidays, there are festivals held. These often consist of food stands as well as games and treats for kids. Some festivals are quite unique, such as the fertility festival, kite festival and fire-walking festival. The best way to find out about festivals, however, is to check local listings and news.

22. Check out the Roppongi Hills area.

Roppongi Hills encompasses many shopping structures, restaurants and the beautiful Mori Art Museum, which also has an observation deck. During the day the area offers modern culture, with hip cafes and boutiques dotting the landscape. Art and music continue on through the dark hours as the Roppongi night-scene comes alive, with clubs and bars open all night in many cases. Whether you stay or leave once the main shops close down, Roppongi Hills makes a great day-trip in Tokyo.

23. Spend your day in the electric shops, pachinko parlors and arcades of Akihabara.

Akihabara is the ultimate destination for fans of anime and manga, but it has something to offer all who visit. Electronic shops in the area sell new emerging technologies, putting "Akiba" on the map as a leading region in the world of tech. The streets are also lined with cafes, themed to popular anime and manga series. Arcades are easy to find, as well as pachinko and slot machine venues, which can be a fun end to an exciting day. You can also get the famous purikura, or "sticky pics," as most Americans call them. This is when you go into a photo booth, take photos and are then able to edit them with cute stickers and electronic pens, before they are printed out on tiny photo strips with sticker-backs. A culmination of modern Japanese culture, Akiba makes for a great day-trip.

24. Enjoy the attractions of Tokyo Dome City.

Tokyo Dome City is an area in the heart of Tokyo that consists of the sports dome (from which the area gets its name), an amusement park, another sports complex and many shopping and eating venues. The amusement park area of the complex consists of many fun rides, games and a haunted house. Day passes or single ride tickets can be purchased for the rides, making it a fun activity to fit any amount of time or money. The dome is the site of many cultural events, major conferences and baseball games, scheduled around the year. Consider coinciding your trip with an event going on in the dome to give yourself a full day of fun.

25. Explore Ginza and watch a kabuki play.

Ginza is another popular shopping district of Tokyo, one filled with many high-class shops. Kabuki is a form of ancient Japanese theatre that is still practiced today at the Kabukiza Theater in Ginza. Although the plays are in Japanese, there are guides that English-speakers can get. The recording in the headphones is timed with the action on the stage to give the listener an insight to the play's plot, as well as aspects of the style and history that are important to your overall understanding of the production. After catching a showing, walk around the the well-lit Ginza blocks for a taste of the finer things in life.

26. Immerse yourself in the magic of Tokyo DisneySea and Tokyo Disneyland.

This trip could be contained in one day or spread over two, as there are two parks (Disneyland and, the one and only, DisneySea), but a "hopper" pass is available. Like other Disney Parks around the world, Tokyo Disney has all the adventure of pirates, mermaids, travel and animals that one would expect. However, the intense Japanese hospitality demonstrated by employees is something that adds to the magic. You also see many large groups of young teens, often girls, dressed in matching cute outfits. Familiar yet new, Tokyo Disney is a great trip for guests old and young.

27. Wander through the gardens of Tokyo.

For all seasons, there are gardens in Tokyo that have something unique to offer visitors. These gardens provide a quiet, peaceful oasis away from the ever-moving, fast-paced life of the city. Flowers, trees, ponds, wildlife, and shrines are some of the spectacles that are kept safe within Tokyo's many gardens. A morning or afternoon spent in one these gardens is sure to relax and amaze -- or take a tour of multiple and "garden hop" all day.

28. Take a trip up the Tokyo Sky Tree.

The Tokyo Sky Tree is the world's tallest broadcasting tower, standing at a shocking 634m, or 2080ft, high. With multiple decks for guests to view the city skyline. Mount Fuji can even be seen on good days. Tickets can be purchased on the day of (usually long lines form early) or in advance for a specific date and time (although this option is only availble through an online page that is all in Japanese). Enjoy a day of sightseeing and indulging in modern Japanese culture in the surrounding area before or after your visit to the top.

29. Travel around Hakone.

Hakone is ideally a two-day trip, although it can be condensed into one for the sake of time. With a famous onsen (Yunessun, an onsen with special hot spring pools mixed with wine, coffee, sake and green tea), the Hakone Open Air Museum, Owakudani's volcanic activity and beautiful views of Mount Fuji from Lake Ashi, Hakone is sure to excite any and all visitors. Travel between the region is made easy by maps and information, explaining the connections between the different train, gondola, cable car and boat lines. All these forms of transportation are made affordable and easy-to-use through the Hakone Freepass, which grants passage for two or three days on all transits, and even discounted entrance fees to many attractions.

30. Shop in Shinjuku.

Like many other major centers in Tokyo, Shinjuku is full of malls and people, all bustling about. However, Shinjuku is special in the fact that it is home to one of the largest train stations in the world. With over three million people passing through it's walls everyday, it's no wonder why it's such a major destination for tourists and businessmen alike. It's easy (and fun) to spend your day getting lost in the allies of Shinjuku.

31. Peruse a shrine sale and recycle shop.

The perfect morning can be spent at one of the many shrine sales around Tokyo. One of the biggest and most popular sales is in Yamato. "Shrine sales" are essentially flea markets set up in the gardens or near vicinity of a shrine. These sales are fun to see what bargains you can snatch and what hidden gems you can find. Make it a full day and go to some of the many recycle shops (thrift stores) located around Tokyo, as shrine sales typically close down in early afternoon.