A Month in Greece: April

A Month in Greece: April

My time abroad has come to an end.

23
A Month in Greece: April
Stephanie Beck

We hit the ground running in April with a long weekend trip to the island of Crete. From March 30th to April 4th, we traveled around the island exploring beautiful sites and places.

The final day in Crete was our “nature” day as our professor called it. We were fortune it enough to spend time at a bee keepers house where we suited up and walked down to where he kept his bees. We learned about harvesting season, the amount of work it takes to maintain a bee farm as well as eat the delicious honey. My friend, Hannah, and I were the select few to be able to hold a frame with thousands of bees on it. Let’s just say the bee frame was not in my hands for long. The honey was absolutely delicious and Adonis, the bee keeper, made an amazing meal filled with goat, potatoes and Cretan salad.

We went to another wine and olive oil tasting in Chaina. We were about to see first hand how the bottles were filled, packaged and shipped. I am not a wine love but the wines we tried were pretty decent! It was a great time spending quality time with everyone on my program enjoying our final days in Greece together. I can speak on behalf of everyone, we had a great time!

On April 7th, we had a day field trip to Sounion, Thorikos and Lavrion. We learned about the society and lifestyle at Thorikos as well as the Temple of Poseidon in Sounion. We enjoyed a great lunch in Lavrion right next to the water.

Even with essay deadlines fast approaching, we still found time to take a day trip into the city and really be able to explore. A few of us went shopping and found a unique area filled with antiques and gems. It was hard to resist all the old-fashioned cameras. I found an old papparazzi one from around the 1930’s with the round flash at the top. Although known of them worked, I may have to go back down and pick it up. It would definitely be a piece to keep forever.

The Greek Islands could not have come at a better time. The week before our trip was stressful with essays and research papers being finished. I was excited to relax for a couple days before our finals week and see one of my really good friends!

Our hostel was in Persia, a south eastern city on Santorini. We relaxed on the black beach our first time and planned our next day out. Our Saturday didn’t start off great with issues renting ATVs. Once that was resolved we jetted off to Akrotiri for the Red Beach. It was so cool to see the red rocks although it was a bit of a difficult walk to get to with a wooden railing that wasn’t too sturdy.

After the Red Beach, we had to get to Thira (Fira) for a boat trip! During the boat trip we went to a volcano where the Thera Eruption occurred then went swimming in the “hot springs”. The springs were red due to the amount of sulfur in the water. I put hot in parentheses because it wasn’t too hot. I understand we are not in peak summer season, but we all definitely thought the hot springs would be a lot warmer. My friend, Darcy, and I decided to take the donkeys up the hill to get back to our ATVs. Checked it off my bucket list!

Next stop was Oia, for the beautiful sunset everyone knows and loves. It was absolutely breath taking. I hope I have my honeymoon on Oia with a private villa along the coast. It would be a dream come true.

For Easter, we came back to Oia for the day and enjoyed lunch at a restaurant with a view looking over the ocean. We spent time shopping and eating yummy sorbets. It was a relaxing day. I don’t think one could spend enough time there. All you want to do is sit along the water and watch the waves crash all day long. The white buildings we have grown to love are mesmerizing. The buildings most people recognize with the bright blue tops are actually all churches!

Sadly, our weekend trip had ended and we came back to Athens for finals weeks. I was finished with my finals by Wednesday and got to chill the rest of the days, enjoying what the rest of Athens has to offer.

Steph and I went to the highest point in Athens and enjoyed an amazing view. I was happy I was able to view Athens from a whole different perspective.

It was a sad day as Sunday, April 23rd came around and it was time to leave such a beautiful country. I had such an amazing and humbling experience with my abroad program. I made 12 new really good friends and have met many locals who showed me the way through the past three months. If it wasn't for them, the semester would not have been the same. I am extremely thankful for amazing parents who allowed me to spend this time across the pond. Greece has been so good to me and I'm excited for the day I come back.

Here are some of my favorite pictures from my trip:

Peace out spring semester, hello SENIOR year!