10 Reasons Why Monica Geller Is An Underappreciated Character

"And remember, if I'm harsh with you, it's only because you're doing it wrong."

2498
Playbuzz

She always tries to please people, such as giving Chandler alone time to spend with the guys, making candy for the neighbors, throwing Rachel a baby shower, etc. When I was little, Monica Geller used to get on my nerves. Why does she always need to clean? Why does everything have to be neat? However, the older I get, the more I realize I am exactly like her, to the point that my significant other is constantly making references to her in our daily life. For example, a conversation we had this morning:

Me: You could put it away.
Him: You see, I would, but then you would pull a Monica and say "oh thank you dear! But here, let me do it."

Not only is Monica Geller now my favorite character in the show, she is also part of my favorite couple. I adore Chandler and Monica together and see them as relationship goals.

Here's why Monica Geller is one of my absolute favorites:

1. She fed all of her friends almost every day, on every holiday without complaining.

2. She overcame teenage obesity.

3. She dealt with her rude and emotionally abusing mother.

She grew up with a mother who subjected her to relentless criticism and verbal mistreatment, but still emerged with a sense of her own self-worth, determination to fulfill her dreams and a huge capacity to care for others. In addition, she never resented or pushed away her parents.

4. She's selfless.

Monica took in her former best friend – who abandoned and rejected her for a ‘high society’ life and didn't invite her to her wedding – into her home without question.

5. Accepted a woman who had previously lived on the streets, as her roommate and welcomed her into her group of friends.

6. She's hardworking.

Going through unemployment and shitty jobs, yet she refused to take unfair advantages she hadn’t earned (i.e. Pete buying her a restaurant). Eventually gained a prestigious head chef position based entirely on her own merit.

7. She's headstrong.

Walked away from the man she thought was the love of her life, because she wanted children and he didn't. Even though painful, she did not give up on what she wanted.

8. She always puts others first.

Even though she really wanted to get married, she did not rush Chandler and waited for him to be ready himself (giving him an opportunity to work through his commitment-phobia).

9. Encouraged her husband to quit a job he hated, then supported him – financially and emotionally –through his unemployment and helped him find his dream career.

10. She's always going above and beyond for others.

She always tries to please people, such as giving Chandler alone time to spend with the guys, making candy for the neighbors, throwing Rachel a baby shower, etc.