An Open Letter To My Mom

An Open Letter To My Mom

Thank you for everything.

28
An Open Letter To My Mom

Mom,

This is a letter to you to thank you for everything.

This letter is to let you know I appreciate everything that you have done for me.

For the past 18 years, much of what you have done is for me, so I am writing this letter for you.

This is a letter for you because you got your master’s degree while working full time and parenting full time. You showed me that I could do absolutely anything I put my mind to. If I can be half as successful as you, then I can consider myself to be something great.

This is a letter for you because you sacrificed your dream of being a teacher just to be my mother. You made that sacrifice despite everything I have put you through over the last 18 years. Everything you do leaves me in awe.

This is a letter for you, the godliest and faithful woman I know. Proverbs 31:25 is one of the most overused Bible verses I know, but in a sentence, it is your biography. You are the strongest woman I know.

This is a letter for you, my superhero and role model, the one who taught me that gender roles do not confine me. You refused to teach me that my role was in the kitchen, but taught me that my role was whatever I determined it to be. You showed me that I am not inferior because of my gender and that a man should never try to make me believe so.

This is a letter for you because you have been there for me no matter what I was going through. When I was diagnosed with a serious illness, you dropped absolutely everything to take care of me. This meant that you lost your dream job, but you didn’t seem to have any problem with that. For that, I cherish every minute I get to spend with you. I am in awe of all that you have done out of love for those around you. The sacrifices you have made are astounding.

This is a letter for you because you forgave me for my worst mistakes. When I was at my absolute lowest, you stayed up for 20 hours with me to make sure that I was alright. I wish I could repay you for all that you have done for me. You deserve the world, and someday I would like to give you that.

This is a letter for you, the strongest person I know. After everything you have been through, it would be easy to just become hardened to the outside world, but you haven’t. You love me unconditionally, and that never ceases to amaze me. I have put you through so much that a parent should never experience, but you are still my rock. I don’t deserve to have you in my life, but God blessed you with me anyway.

Everything good in me is because of you. You have shown me all of the necessary virtues for life: strength, patience, love, forgiveness, sacrifice and so much more. I love you, Mom.

— Your Loving Daughter