Mom & Me

Mom & Me

Not to be confused with "Marley and Me"

28
Mom & Me
CartoonsMix

Mother’s Day has come and gone, and pictures of my mom and I have shown up. When people see them, they tell us we look alike and that we’re, “the same person”. I really hadn’t noticed it until this year, and it really is scary how similar we are. If you’re in anyway similar to your mom, you’ll understand what I’m about to say.

• You have the exact same mannerisms. My mom and I could tell the same story and have the same hand movements and facial expressions, and laugh at the same parts.

• You sometimes telepathically communicate. One time mom texted me saying she dyed her hair and I texted her backing saying that was weird that I had also dyed my hair. We sent selfies and turns out, we got our hair dyed the exact same color.

• If you faceswap on snapchat, you can’t tell anything changed. People ALWAYS tell you that you have your mom’s smile or her eyes. And then there’s always the “she looks more like your sister than your mom” comment.

• Your senses of humor are identical. Sometimes, you call her just to tell her something funny you just said because you know she’ll crack up and appreciate your humor. (Disclaimer: if you both get into moods where you find everything funny, you’ll laugh so hard you’ll get abs) Also, other people sometimes do not understand your humor at all.

• You have the same style. I cannot tell you how many times I’ve tried (sometimes successfully) to sneak away to college with some of my mom’s clothes/scarves/jewelry hidden in the back of my car. Sometimes I send her a selfie wearing her earrings, and sometimes I get frustrated after I’ve searched and searched only to find out that my (her) favorite cardigan is a state away. It’s a blessing and a curse.

• You know how to make each other mad. When you argue, you’re basically arguing with another version of yourself, so you know how to really get under each other’s skin. This is a pain.

• Even if you try not to, you end up just like her. Big and little things. I swore I’d never be an English major/teacher like my mom and surprise, here I am. The “I’ll never be like my mom” saying never actually comes true, because as it turns out, you’re just like her and that’s perfectly fine.

Moms are such a blessing on this earth and I’m lucky enough to be best friends with mine. I know we just celebrated them, but they should be celebrated every day.