A Letter To My Mom, Who Is About To Be An Empty-Nester

I'm only a phone call away.

507

Dear Mom,

Throughout my life, you have taught me so many things that I can't even keep count of. You've taught me to always do the right thing, to believe in myself, and you've shown me what it means to be a strong woman.

You've always been the most important woman in my life, and just because your kids won't be around as often doesn't mean that that will change. As we head off to college, please know that you are, and always will be, on the top of our priority list.

For over 20 years, you have been busy with play dates, sports practices, doctors appointments, and a million things in between. It is going to be a tough change for you, but it's a tough change for me, too.

I can go to you with any question or need, and you're always there to lend a hand or give wise words of advice. You're my shoulder to cry on and the person I go to when life seems to be kicking me on the ground. You make me laugh when I'm sad to make me feel better.

Of course, these things will never change, but it will feel different being apart from each other.

Going away to school makes my time spent with you even more special. Sometimes I wish I could bring you to school with me, but I know you're just a dial away if I ever need anything.

Call me whenever you feel sad or need someone to talk to. Sure, I'll be busy, but you'll be busy, too. Making time to talk to each other is going to be essential. I love telling you about my day, and I love hearing about yours.

This new stage in both of our lives is a lot different than what we're used to, but I know that we can make it work. Life just wouldn't be the same without you, Momma!

I'll be back home before you know it and your nest will no longer be empty. But for the meantime, try to enjoy some peace and quiet in the house while you still can!