To My Mother, The Best Woman In My Life

My Mother Will Always Be The Best Woman In My Life

First a mother, forever a friend.

897
Elise Devlin

In the words of Abraham Lincoln, "All that I am, or hope to be, I owe to my angel mother." If there is one person in the world that I adore over anyone else, it is, without a doubt, my mom. It would be a privilege to grow up and become even half the woman that she is.

Heading into college, I possessed the typical mindset of a high school senior, longing to leave for school and finally be on my own. Let me just say, adulting for the first time can really teach you lessons nothing else can.

The biggest thing I have learned from the past year is my mother is my best friend in life. As you grow older, the realization of just how much your mother has done for you really sets in. Looking back now, my mom worked her butt off every single day and still does, without a single complaint. This was all just so my sisters and I could comfortably have everything we need. The word "selfless" really does not even do this lady justice, considering what she has gone through for my family.

My mom always made sure to set boundaries for everything. Chances are I was never a fan of those rules I had set in place for me.

However, I know now there was a reason for every one of them, and I'm grateful I had those rules to guide me in the right direction.

It's crazy to me even thinking about all of the running around my mother did for us, driving my sisters and me to every practice, game, meet and more. I wouldn't have made it anywhere on time, or at all if it weren't for her constantly picking me up and taking me places. As great as it was having my license and driving myself places junior and senior year of high school, there were some days I wish I still had her in the car driving me home to ask me all about my day or practice.

I'll always appreciate my mom for the endless hotels booked and long drives we shared together at swim meets growing up, just so that I could compete at a meet and she could watch me. Even if we somehow got lost on the way to every one of them, it would be just as funny each time.

My mother has taught me so many lessons in life that have shaped my point of view on several things. The most important thing she has told me from day one is that being the bigger person in a situation and being kind to others was always going to mean more than being popular. She helped me understand from an early age that there is absolutely nothing wrong with being yourself. My mom has preached to me to find the good in every situation and to always maintain a positive outlook or mindset towards anything I do in life, and it has gone such a long way.

I can't thank my mom enough for being my best friend and for wanting to do anything in her power to benefit me. I know she'll always be the first person I'll call when I'm sad, happy, excited, embarrassed, or at 3 a.m. when I'm sick and don't know what to do. She tells me exactly what I need to hear when I need to hear it. No matter how painfully honest it may be, her words keep me grounded and I am so grateful for that.

My mom is the most beautiful, intelligent, hardworking, headstrong woman I will ever know, and I am so lucky to have grown up with a role model like her to look up to and be guided by in life.