Modern Silent Film, Hush For the Win

Modern Silent Film, Hush For the Win

It is rare in today's world that we stop and show the action of the story rather than tell the audience every detail.
35

You ever watch a movie that just hits home and really makes you think about your life? My friend told me one day that I should check out this movie, Hush on Netflix sometime when I had the chance.

I got bored one afternoon and was sitting alone at home and decided to turn it on. It was nothing like I would have expected. I don't recommend watching this film alone or at night, but I do suggest that you watch it at least once. I promise it's not something you will regret.

Hush, released in 2016, is currently playing on Netflix. This film is maybe one of my favorite horror/suspense films of all time. A warning for some, you may not like since it has no real sound other than some suspenseful music. There may be some brief dialogue, but the film is mostly silence.

This film is silent for a reason. The protagonist of this film is deaf. There is sign language at times but mostly the viewer will have to watch this movie with the subtitles. However, I do not feel that that takes away from the adventure of the film. I actually felt that it added more suspense and drama to the film by not having any real dialogue in it. It is rare in today's world that we stop and show the action of the story rather than tell the audience every detail.

Our deaf author, Maddie, has chosen to live in a secluded area in the woods alone where she writes. Her only companions are her cat, Bitch, and her two neighbors. Her character shows what being deaf can feel like and the isolation a deaf person feels, especially when a killer is out in the woods.

There are not many pretexts to this film. It gets to the suspense quickly with Maddie and the killer, who at first is masked but soon reveals his face. Maddie is now in a fight for her life where she lacks an advantage.

This movie hit home on many levels for me. It's rare that I feel such a strong connection with the character in a movie. While I'm not fully deaf I am hard of hearing. I'm also a writer. This is a like living in double solitude and isolation. Many people do not understand the difficulties of not being able to hear sounds.

They also don't understand that once creativity strikes, it is like being pulled into the world of your creation. I like the solitude, but it can get overwhelming sometimes and as a writer, you're left with a sense of dread and terror sometimes. Besides, no writer is complete without their trust cat. I can't forget my fellow writing companion, Marie.

This movie was amazing. I enjoyed every moment of it. Also left me with a notion to stay away from the woods of isolation.