MLB Finally Set Their 2020 Schedule

MLB Finally Set Their 2020 Schedule

What took so long?

39
MLB Finally Set Their 2020 Schedule

The coronavirus pandemic hit hard all around the world and in many hometowns. It forced people to stay home for months at a time, with absolutely nothing to do or watch. In many cases, when people need to stay at home, they turn to sports for entertainment, just for a few hours to forget the world around them. Though, with COVID-19, all sports have either been postponed for the 2020 season. For all of these sports, their commissioner has announced what the rest of the season will look like, except baseball. The NFL, NHL, and NBA have all kept fans in the loop about returning, yet baseball has been a rollercoaster of decisions; here's the timeline.

May 2020

Teams started officially coming together on May 12, 2020, for negotiations of the idea of continuing the season. Thought, owners discussed an 82 game season and a 50-50 salary between owners and players. Negotiations were set between the MLB and the MLBPA (Major League Baseball Players Association) to shorten the season and pay the athletes and owners based on the number of games. The two also discussed having a universal DH to keep pitchers healthy throughout the season. For those who do not know what a "DH" is it is a designated hitter for the pitcher, but only occurs for the American League teams and stadiums. After players went to social media about the risks of COVID-19, the MLB released more information about safety precautions for everyone involved.

Owners then estimated that they would lose over 500,000 dollars per game, due to no fans or concessions, and further pushed players for a 50-50 salary deal. While more and more athletes speak out about their hopes for the season, it wasn't until the 20th of the month that the MLB made their first proposal to the MLBPA. After a few days of review, the players were not satisfied with the proposal, for most of the issue is they wanted more money. Only a few days later, the players offered to have their salary deferred through later seasons. Two more days pass by and owners make yet another proposal to the MLBPA and they don't agree, as players who earn more would get paid less, but could make more due to postseason.

Back in March, players agreed to a prorated salary for the season and saw the idea of salary settled completely and wanted to discuss it no more with the MLB. After more disagreements, MLBPA awaited important financial documents from the MLB that discussed possible further pay cuts. On May 31, the MLBPA proposes a 114 game season with absolutely no salary cuts and a $100 million advance throughout the spring training period.

June 2020

Going back to the March deal, the MLB agreed to pay the players a percentage of the full salaries of the 2020 season, though shortened the season to around 50 games but rejected the 114 game proposal. Players continued to refuse any type of pay cut and were ready to get back to playing, even with possible health risks. The MLB then proposed a 76 game season that would end in late September with postseason ending sometime in October, with of course pay cuts. The proposal also included about a 75% prorated salary with no MLB Draft compensation, which needless to say, the MLBPA did not approve. The next day, the MLBPA rebuts with an 89 season with no pay cuts, postseason ending in November, and a $5 million fund to support minor leagues and social justice organizations.

On June 10, Commissioner Rob Manfred said the season will happen, even if the MLB and MLBPA could not agree, he would end up making the final decision. A few days past and the owners proposed a 72 game season where players got a 70% prorated salary and then an 80% prorated salary, but players still pushed for 100%. After rejecting the offer, the MLBPA requested the MLB just schedule a season and later accused them of delaying the season, Manfred than changed his original statement about the 2020 season happening.

Later, Manfred and Tony Clark (MLBPA executive director) met and started to get closer to a final agreement, including paying the players their full prorated salaries and 60 games. Though things looked hopeful, the MLBPA shot back and requested to have a 70 game season that is to start in mid-July. The MLB said they will play no more than 60 games due to the coronavirus outbreak and personnel having tested positive, spring training facilities had to be re-sanitized. On Sunday, June 21, the MLB proposed their final offer on a 60 game season and even offered players concession during 2021. The next day the MLBPA said no, and players voted for Rob Manfred to impose the season. On Tuesday, it was settled on a 60 game season and players are to report on July 1 for a 3-week spring training.

Even though the negotiations were only happening for about a month, so many things happened in the short span of time. While many fans are excited to get baseball back, there are many who see players as greedy and don't even want to watch the season. With all the ups and downs baseball has encountered, it is safe to say this season will be nothing short of enjoyable and entertaining.