To Anyone Missing Home And Stuck In A Crowded City Alone

Appreciate the calm.

165
patmikemckane

If you’re reading this you’re either: a) a city college kid like me who wants to leave the big city they’re in and escape finals hell or b) wondering why anyone would want to leave their life behind in the big city. Don’t get me wrong, but being a full-time college student and living in a big city can be overwhelming at times.

The city has endless places to shop, dine, and just have tons of fun, but on top of fulfilling the day-to-day demands of school, it can be a relief to escape to the suburbs for a day or two. Living in New York City for almost two years away from my suburban town in Illinois has been fun, but sometimes I just wish I could go back to my bed and my dogs for a weekend and just relax.

As an introvert, it can be draining at times to constantly be surrounded by lots of people and noises, especially when everything is fast-paced.

Whatever time of day it is in New York, you will always hear sirens of fire trucks in the distance or catch glimpses of light shining in the windows. Even being in the privacy of your own room is not even an escape from the never-ending activity in the concrete jungle. If you’re in need of some peace and quiet, just because you’re a college student in a big city that comes with more responsibility doesn’t mean you’re weak. College is a very stressful time, and, wherever you’re

getting your degree, it’s always important to take time to take care of yourself.

So if you’re like me and escaping the chaos of the city, revel in the peace and quiet, especially since another 3 more months will be spent in the city for Semester 2. Take as many naps as you can, because as tired as I may be at times, I’m constantly doing something all hours of the day. Go ahead and read a book. Finding something to please your mind, and most importantly, not related to school, is another way to show your body how much you love and care for it. Take a walk around your neighborhood or your town.

I find a big difference in the quality of air between the streets of my town and the streets of NYC, and on top of that, you can take time to appreciate that the thousands of people walking in front of you are so slow. Listen to music in a quiet room. I have done this on several occasions, and listening to music in a quiet place allows you to really take time to listen to the music rather than just listening to something to pass the time on your 15-minute walk to class through the crazy streets of a big city.

After a semester of five classes, while having a full-time job, I am ready to go back home to Illinois to enjoy the serenity and comfort of my small,

quiet town. If you’re craving the peace and quiet after another semester in a big city, don’t take for granted all the peace and quiet of your hometown. Before you know it, the month you’re at home will be over, and the daily grind in the big city will begin all over again. But seriously, take care of yourself and appreciate the little things that will take your mind off the craziness of life in the big city.