How I Really Miss Gamma Sigma Sigma

How I Really Miss Gamma Sigma Sigma

I was wrong about how much I'd miss it.

192
How I Really Miss Gamma Sigma Sigma

Gamma Sigma Sigma is a national service sorority that allows its members to volunteer while sharing your typical sisterhood experiences. I rushed Gamma Sigma Sigma - Alpha Psi (Southeast Missouri State Chapter) in fall 2014. In that semester of rush, I got the opportunity to met many lifelong friends and share many memories. A year later I thought I was done with this organization -- by the end of last semester getting me to go to chapter was like pulling teeth. While at chapter, it was hard for me to have respect for my fellow sisters who were speaking.

As winter break ended and I came back to school, I lined up my classes, accepted an internship, and went back to work. I decided that I may want to write an inactive letter to see if I could be granted inactive status for this semester. Two weeks into the semester I was granted inactive membership. Being granted inactive means a few of things.

1. You do not have to attend the weekly meeting.

2. You do not have to complete your 25 service hours.

3. You only have to pay half your chapter dues.

There are a few smaller things you do not get to do as a inactive member also, but they do not matter for this article. After my name was announced at chapter that I had been granted inactive status for the semester, I noticed a change in my sisters when I saw them on campus. It was not a bad change, but it was a change. Several of them seemed almost sad that I had gone inactive. After explaining to them what all was happening this semester they seemed to understand, but they were still sad.

Three weeks into my inactive status, I stopped one Thursday afternoon and realized that I really missed Gamma Sig. Instead of picking out what my pin attire outfit should be for tonight's meeting, I was pulling on some sweatpants and sitting down at my computer to catch up on an entire week's worth of homework. At 7 p.m. while my sisters were sitting down at their meeting and everyone was settling down with their friends, I had just looked up from my computer and decided I was at a stopping point to get up and eat dinner. While my sisters were laughing at a joke during "share time" and all whispering about where they were going to go after chapter, I was realizing that I missed Gamma Sig.

I was missing the inside jokes, the announcements about socials, and other events happening on campus for the next week. But what I missed the most was my sisters -- I missed them as a entire body. I missed sitting with them, I really did. Three weeks before I was celebrating that I was going to be inactive member for an entire semester and thought I would not miss Gamma Sig one bit. But I was so wrong -- I really missed all of it. So if you are debating if you are going to go inactive this next semester, just remember your going to miss it more than you can believe.