Miss Universe Goes Horribly Wrong

Miss Universe Goes Horribly Wrong

15
Miss Universe Goes Horribly Wrong
rickey.org

December 20 began just like any other day in my household. Christmas movies were playing, gifts were being wrapped, and we were all enjoying spending time together. Waking up this morning, I had no idea the drama that would ensue just hours later at the Miss Universe Pageant. This year's pageant was hosted by the one and only Steve Harvey, the face and host of the infamous game show "Family Feud."

For most of the Miss Universe Pageant, it ran smoothly. The girls looked beautiful in their dresses and answers to tough questions were given with elegance and grace. The pageant was just like any other until it came down to the wire.

The final three contestants to make it past the grueling competition were Miss USA Olivia Jordan, Miss Colombia Ariadna Gutierrez, and Miss Philippines Pia Alonzo. Miss USA was eventually crowed as second runner-up, leaving Miss Colombia and Miss Philippines vying for the crown. Steve Harvey, clutching the results in his hands, announced to the entire world that Miss Colombia was the winner. Colombian fans roared in applause, Miss Colombia started crying tears of happiness, and the previous winner (also from Colombia) began hugging her with joy. All her hard work had paid off and her dream of being Miss Universe was finally being realized.

Until it all came crashing down.

Harvey hastily returned to the stage announcing that a mistake had been made. You could have heard a penny drop while the crowd quickly quieted to hear the announcement. He immediately told everyone that Miss Colombia is actually the first runner up, making Miss Philippines the winner. The awkwardness is tangible, as neither contestant knows what to do. The shock on Miss Philippines is very evident, probably wondering if this is really happening. Booing and screaming ensued as the crowd reacted to the scandalous and historic moment in pageant history. Harvey then apologized for his mistake, taking ownership of what happened, but reminding us that at least the mistake was corrected. Really, it was a total disaster. Now let's analyze the three major players in this pageant scandal.

First off, can you imagine how it feels to be Miss Colombia? You are crowned as the new Miss Universe and your dreams are finally coming true. All your hard work has paid off and you can feel like you made your country proud. Even better, this win meant that Colombia would have won back-to-back years. Now imagine having all of this glory literally ripped from your hands. It’s heartbreaking! I realize that winning then not winning Miss Universe isn’t the worst thing that’s ever happened, but it does leave a nice girl embarrassed and distraught. My hearts goes to Miss Colombia; I can’t even imagine what she’s feeling.

Then we have Miss Philippines who can’t even enjoy her moment. The true winner of Miss Universe was initially met with disappointment, joining Miss USA on the sidelines to watch Miss Colombia get crowned. After the mistake was corrected, Miss Philippines was excited but it seemed that the happiness was subdued due to the dramatics of the moment. She was just standing beside Miss Colombia and neither of them had any idea what to do. A moment that should have been met with joy for Miss Philippines was actually met with boos from the crowd and an embarrassed Harvey.

Lastly, but certainly not least, is mister Steve Harvey himself. Poor Steve, his first (and probably last) time hosting Miss Universe and this happens. You could look at his situation from two sides. One side being, how on earth could you screw this up, Steve? You had one job, bro, one job. You have a piece of paper specifically saying who the winner is; all you have to do is read it. On the flipside, mistakes do happen. We are all human with faults and we all screw up sometimes. It’s just unfortunate that Harvey just so happened to screw up in front of billions of people. However, one thing’s for certain, no matter how many times he apologizes, the world will not forget what happened.

So I think it’s easy to say that this year's Miss Universe Pageant won’t be forgotten for a long long time. My heart is with Miss Colombia, Miss Philippines, and Steve Harvey during this difficult time. It was unfortunate on all sides and I hate that this happened. Congrats to Miss Philippines for the win, and also congrats to Miss USA for making it to the top three.