I MISS THE OLD KANYE

I MISS THE OLD KANYE

My new intake of Mr. West after the St. Pablo Show

23
I MISS THE OLD KANYE
Danna Samhan

When I first started writing for Odyssey, my first article was what I thought of Kanye West. And as a year has passed by and I have grown as a person, as well as Kanye's public growth. The opinions have changed, nothing too drastic but the way I view Kanye today, is a complete difference than the previous obsession I once publicly acclaimed. Almost a year has passed since that first article, and it is safe to say Kanye's life has changed immensely from the long awaited release of The Life of Pablo, to the different Yeezy Seasons in collaboration with Adidas. Kanye has yet again, become a household name. Not to mention he still has "beef" with artists such as Taylor Swift, and a never ending battle with the media in general. As of now, he is currently touring for St. Pablo, and thousands are gathering every night and selling out arenas for his shows.

Last night September 17, 2016, I was able to be a part of the millions that will be able to say they were a part of the St. Pablo Tour. As a real fan of Kanye West, my reaction to the show is going to be a strong one. Three years ago I had the great honor of attending the Yeezus Tour in my hometown of Miami, and I could safely say it was one of the greatest concerts I have ever been to. The expectations for St. Pablo were high, as the hype was all over social media, and the excitement was real. Although I had a load of fun and was ecstatic when oldies like Flashing Lights and Runaway came on. The show was a severe disappointment.

For once, for the first time in a long time, I felt like there was no connection. One lucky concert goer was called out amongst the sea of people for having a Kanye-inspired tattoo, and she had a personal connection with Kanye, the rest of us did not. For one, it felt like I was just at a loud house party Mr. West hosted, everyone dancing, or mosh-pitting.

He performed for a total of one hour and 15 minutes, including the 10-minute rant in the middle of the performance. It was let down. If this was a person’s first Kanye West concert I could see how this concert was a night of perfection, but for me, it was almost sad.

It felt like Mr. West did not really want to be there, only playing songs from the new album, and all the old ones he did play, they were not played in full only two verses and the chorus. It felt like he was dragged by the ear to get on stage and finish quickly so he could go home. The hovering stage, clever, was not appealing to all. Those under him did not have the full chance to see him at all times, and those seated higher up had to rely on the screens to see the show.

Yeezus, was an experience. A concert I will forever have engraved in my memory, it was a true show. With a set up resembling of a mountain top, performers on stage with Kanye, and a Jesus look alike. It was a night where anything you imagined could be possible. And maybe now that Kanye is on an “Ultra Light Beam” he feels unstoppable, he feels compelled to do whatever he wants - knowing he will get a fat check for it. Knowing that at the end of the day he will still be talked about, no matter what he does. Kanye does say, his creativity is still long growing, and that he has not reached his maximum ability, now I am certain that he is still not done breaking the boundaries. But as of right now I am trying to figure out what he is doing, is he trying to do everything at once, and end up with mediocrity or? The concert validated that theory for me.

I love Kanye West, and that needs to be understood. He has allowed me to believe that I can set my mind to whatever I want, and achieve what others deem as impossible in my reach. Wake up Mr. West, what is going on? The concert filled with teens and new fans of Kanye made me feel like he sold himself out, there were no fans that remember the Pink Polo and Louis Vuitton Kanye. The Graduation and College Dropout fans, the fans who cried listening to My Beautiful Dark Fantasy for the first time. The Kanye who had a four hour concerts and 45 minutes rants about life and, explaining to us that without Pharrell Williams and Jay-Z he would not be the Kanye we know and love.

St. Pablo, the concert that is supposed to spread originality and creativity had one thing going on. Everyone was dressed the same and looked the same, trying to get the West and Kim Kardahsian feel the lack of originality was practically depressing. Kanye West is and will be a name as important as Jobs, Newton and Disney for our generation but if the fans he reels in are brainwashed sheep, he could never reach that. Fans are meant to be people who believe in themselves, “If you are a fan of Kanye West, you are a fan of yourself,” that is now lacking.

What I am trying to say is, I miss the old Kanye.