More Than Just A Crown

More Than Just A Crown

What many people don't know about the Miss America Organization

33
More Than Just A Crown
Miss America Organization/Bruce V. Boyajian

The Miss America pageant is a popular televised broadcast every year. All over the country, young girls and their mothers watch this together. Thoughts like "That could be me one day," flutter through young minds in awe of the beautiful contestants from each state. This year alone, 6.2 million people watched as Savvy Shields, Miss Arkansas, was crowned the new Miss America. The pageant consists of three nights of preliminary competition before the final competition night. The last night of competition, 15 girls out of 52 are announced as the Top 15. Interview, swimsuit, talent, and evening gown are the four phases of competition, including an onstage question from one of the judges. On the final competition night, after all results have been tabulated, a young lady's life soon changes forever. She is invited to red carpet events, talk shows, and her face is on every newspaper across the country. She will do so much with the crown, more than anyone can imagine. The four points of the Miss America crown are: Scholarship, Service, Success, and Style. The reigning Miss America uses these four points throughout her reign.

What many do not know, The Miss America Organization is a non-profit organization. It is the largest provider of scholarship assistance to young women in the United States. At national, state, and even local level, Miss America-related pageants award preliminary winners, contestants that place runner-up, and the title winner, scholarship money for school. Many women that compete in local and state pageants will never have to borrow money for school and will graduate debt-free. This is all due to the Miss America organization that rewards hard work, talent, dedication, and confidence.

To compete in a preliminary pageant to the state competition, you are required to develop a platform that you would embrace and educate on throughout your reign, if you were to win. In the interview portion, your job is to show the judges the importance of your platform issue and why. Why it is so close to your heart and why it should have more awareness brought to it. Along with your specific platform, you are responsible for being an advocate for Children's Miracle Network Hospitals during your reign. This is the national Miss America platform. Miss America preliminary pageants have no entry fee, but you are required to raise money for Children's Miracle Network Hospitals. This money goes to helping children fight their battles at 170 member hospitals in North America and helps pay for the 32 million medical treatments every year. The Miss America Organization has raised $14,234,501 in total for Children's Miracle Network Hospitals. Miss America serves as the National Goodwill Ambassador for Children's Miracle Network Hospitals. She spends her year advocating, raising awareness, and visiting children at Children's Miracle Network Hospitals. Along with her service for CMN Hospitals, Miss America makes appearances at schools and other events to promote her personal platform.

Along with scholarship and service comes success. Success in following your scholastic dream. With the help of the scholarship aspect of the Miss America Organization, you are able to achieve the college education you need to go one step closer to achieving your dream career. Teachers, Doctors, Lawyers, Actresses, etc. are able to follow their dream because of the scholarship and confidence they gained while being a part of the Miss America Organization. The Miss America Organization helps women become successful in their scholastic journeys and careers every year.

Lastly, style is an important quality to Miss America. At the red carpet, guest appearances, and philanthropic events, Miss America embodies a unique style. She is classy, modest, and elegant - just as a role model for young girls should be. Her fashion is a statement. She will be seen with children, who are battling cancer, dressed to impress. Making them feel like royalty just being near her. She uses the crown to make everyone feel as if they are wearing one as well. This is the style icon Miss America is. She uses her style to do good.

It is so much more than just a crown, it is what she does with the crown that is so glamorous. She is an advocate for Children's Miracle Network Hospitals. She gives patients a gift they will never forget by being Miss America; Spending time with children in the hospital. She makes a difference by participating in philanthropic events, visiting schools, spreading awareness, and educating on a personal platform that is close to heart. She is an example and role model for younger girls to look up to. Taking awarded scholarship money, continuing school, and achieving that degree, she shows what it is to be successful. Also, by successfully working for a living in the job of her dreams. Making a difference with the qualities a Miss America embodies, now that is more than just a crown. Compassion, hard work, dedication, confidence, inner-beauty, and a heart for making a difference - this is Miss America. This is the Miss America Organization. Using her Scholarship, Service, Success, and Style to do good.