She's Not Just My Best Friend, She's My Mind-Doppelgänger
Friendships

It's a spiritual connection.

84
Sarah Cucco

The start of the first semester, I anxiously walked into my literary theory class dreading having to speak in Freudian terms and voice opinions that may be challenged. Instead of finding a looming professor dressed in a neatly pressed suit waiting to drill me on Marxist theory, I was welcomed in by a YouTube video playing and my teacher dressed as if she had walked straight out of a Disney princess movie.

I sat in the front seat and was absorbed in conversations on pop culture, freedom, and just how much power social constructs have on our everyday lives. It was not until the third week when working in small groups that I turned around and met what I like to call my mind-doppelgänger. After an off-topic conversation on tattoos, we decided it would be best continued over a dining hall meal. And so began our friendship.

"Mind-doppelgänger" is a term I use to describe someone who you are able to connect with on all levels. From day one, my mind-doppelgänger and I were able to talk about tattoos, ear piercings, and even deeper conversations on why we chose not to join a sorority. We use the same slang terms, take similar classes, and understand that sometimes after a long week dancing is the best way to recharge.

Fast forward to spring break to the point where we have become almost inseparable. A day without seeing each other feels like something is missing and usually ends in one of us texting and asking if a food run is appropriate at 3 a.m. Bagels, French fries, grilled cheeses, and mac and cheese are our passions, and most of our interactions end in an agreement that we are in fact the same person.

A mind-doppelgänger is the ultimate friend. At times they may seem like another version of yourself, however, they are so much more. My best friend is a fiery, fun-loving, highly intelligent, hardworking, badass, and I love her for every single part of herself. While we find ourselves to be very similar, she inspires me to grow and become a better version of myself. I am always at a loss of words to describe how amazing my mind-doppelgänger is and how lucky I am to have her in my life. She never fails to get what she wants and encourages me to do the same. Furthermore, she is empathetic. This is the most important part of a mind-doppelgänger; she understands what I have been through and how to help me move forward.

My mind-doppelgänger always makes me laugh, and although it has only been a couple of months, I love her endlessly. It is rare to find someone who I connect with on such a high level, and I am forever thankful for my theory class for bringing us together.

Finding a mind-doppelgänger is hard, but I find that they show up when you need them the most. This is a thank you to my best friend for transcending that role and becoming like a sister to me.