A Million Ways To Speak And Not A Word To Say

For all of you out there with a phone in your hand and a question mark over your head.

13
Peter Gritsas

So let’s talk about romance today. It feels like love letters, going steady, and so many romantic gestures are fading away. Let’s take a look at communication period. We live in a world of constant communication, we know this isn't news. So why does it feel like we really aren't talking? Even worse, we know everyone’s every move! Instead of love letters we text, and with texting comes the glorious “read receipts”. A blessing and a curse in itself. We can actually see when someone has opened or read a message! So what do we do next? We look on Facebook or literally any other form of social media, and sure enough we find that special someone posting other things. We then think to ourselves, “This person doesn't have two seconds to talk to me but has all the time in the world to do this?” I know what some of you are thinking. “Wow… this is stalker behavior”, “This is just plain paranoia”, or my personal favorite, “They just aren't that into you”. At the end of the day you can call it what you want, but it still doesn't change the fact that we live in a society where we can talk to anyone in a second, and yet we aren't saying anything meaningful at all. And may I point out, there is a fine line between someone playing hard to get, and just being ignored. The love letter has been replaced by the eggplant emoji ladies and gentlemen. I’m not saying there isn't a plus to today’s many forms of communication, I love a good morning text as much as the next person. However, sometimes that isn't enough. I am the type of person that is, dare I say it, a romantic. I am someone who likes hearing how much I mean to someone. Think about how much technology has sucked the romance out of building relationships. Many times it just feels like we are guessing to see whose court the ball is in. Who sends a good morning text first? How long do you wait to text back? If they read the message and don't reply do you wait for them? I have to imagine relationships before all of these questions were far less stressful. There was a time where people would get calls on their land line and rush into another room for privacy to talk to someone they really liked. The problem is that this generation has gotten lazy with romance! And for the hundredth time, I understand this isn't the situation for everyone and that everyone’s dating pool is different. Some of you out there are swept off your feet left and right. Some of us aren't that lucky. How do I wrap this up? At the end of the day communication is key for any relationship. Once that slips away, it’s all downhill. So actually talk to each other! Be spontaneous and find the romance that has been stolen by technology! So for those of you out there feeling trapped by romance through a phone, just know you aren't alone.