Stop Bashing Millennials: A Call For Generation Y To Fight Back

A Millennial's take on what Millennials need to do on social media.

303

I've noticed a big trend on social media lately. The new thing that is going around bashing on the Millennial generation. To be honest, I have no idea where it came from. I even see other Millennials joining in the parade. And furthermore, we always hear the same things: we're lazy, we need our "safe spaces," we have no idea what the real world is about, and that we have no respect.

I can hear it now as you read that last paragraph. "Oh he is the example I'm talking about, he can't take criticism, he's offended right now." I'm not offended by any means, and I can certainly take criticism (just like a lot of other people in my generation). I just don't understand the hate.

Maybe it's because in my small college town I'm surrounded by Millennials for most of my time. I see people of all walks of life and it doesn't matter if they're rich, poor, black, white, liberal, or conservative. And plenty of people are employed in my town. I see people constantly in the library studying their tails off to get good grades. So why do Millennials get a bad wrap?

I see people laughing and joking just like any other human and nobody gets into arguments over what they said. Some of the rudest people that I've seen are people that are a generation or two above mine.Again, why do Millennials keep getting called out?

I might have an answer. My vision could be different, but I don't think that standing up against bigotry is being "offended," and protesting for something that I want, like a higher minimum wage, doesn't mean that I'm lazy and ungrateful for what I have. Fighting back against police brutality isn't a lack of respect for authority. It's trying our best to put our ideas into action for what we think will better the country and save lives.

Think about how different the world is now. Our dollar doesn't go as far as other generations before us. College, food, rent, and anything you can think of was cheaper back then. We just want the same opportunities as prior generations and even better ones. Why is everyone berating us for that? Isn't that the American way? To fight for something you want? To take to the streets and make the change you want to see?

The world can't ignore us. We outnumber every other generation now. Yes, you heard that right. We are officially the largest generation. With those numbers we will eventually get what we want. You wouldn't really know that by watching TV or listening to the media. We hold more power and have more influence over what is happening today than I think our generation realizes.

So stop taking all the crap Millennials, and stop repeating the same things that other generations are saying about us and making yourselves look bad. We're all just striving for the life that we desire. We are working hard everyday, and I see it. If baby boomers don't like the way we do things, or if people from Generation X want to drag us down, tell them that we're the future of what's going to happen, and we're in control now. They had their chance and they clearly didn't do a great job, and it's our turn now.