Millennials May Just Change The World

Millennials May Just Change The World

You may doubt millennials, but just wait and see what we can do.

10
Millennials May Just Change The World
Psychological Skills for Professional Services

This culture of millennial hate has gone on long enough. Millennials are the world's next leaders, soon to be the dominant generation; millennials are being handed a world that is definitely not at its peak or prime in terms of the economy, the environment, or even the social climate. Rather than putting down the generation set to dominate society and run the world in a few decades, why not boost it? So much of the flak towards millennials comes in regards to entitlement, laziness, reliance on technology, or just the general Gen Y culture.

Well, wake up! The times, they are a-changin'! It seems that the majority of the criticism aimed towards millennials comes from lack of knowledge. The only way to get older generations to understand is to get them to listen, and that's been a pretty hard thing to do. All we can do is try to show the best of our generation and hope that it's enough proof.

When it comes to the laziness and entitlement, many millennial critics believe that millennials don't want to put in the hard labor and work - something thought to be dues owed to society. Ashley Stahl at Forbes said that, "Millennials are eager for fulfilling and meaningful careers," more than any older generations have been. It's no longer about long, grueling hours in the office. Millennials are now working for results rather than working to work; it's about the quality of results on the boss' desk not the quantity of hours he/she sees you at yours. Gen Y wants to work harder, wants to push to advance up the ladder. Maybe they really want frequent promotions, but it isn't because they believe they are owed it, it's because they want to strive and achieve to reach that next potential. We believe in working for companies that allow us to truly use our skills. According to Pew, Gen Y has the highest college education rate in history, and we are even more willing to sacrifice in order to get that education.

Now, about this whole technology thing, a "reliance" if you say so. What is the same in using technology? The whole point of technology is that it is created to better the world, advance society, increase efficiency and productivity. Why continue innovating and advancing technology to not use it? The world is at our fingertips now more than ever. Why go backwards? Technology is bringing us more than just an insane influx of knowledge. Look what we can do with computers alone. What are the negatives to utilizing the technology that so many have been striving to create for decades? So college students may not be spending hours researching through dozens of books in the library like you claim to have done "back in your day." We are still researching, we just have better access, more streamlined techniques, and we are saving more time. We have more time for things other than schoolwork. That brings me to my next point.

The efficiency that comes along with technology, and the ability it allows millennials to work faster or work from home, offers them more free time. In 2011, 63% of surveyed millennials said they have spent time volunteering. Even more have donated to charity. Millennials are putting more than just work first. They are spending more time socializing, travelling the world, learning, and much more. Millennials define success differently than older generations, it's no longer just about money.

Millennials are more accepting of all people. Millennials believe in and care more about climate change than older generations. Millennials have much bigger and different focuses; there is more to the individual, to happiness, and to the world. Millennials are just what the world needs.