To The Millennials Who Defy The Stereotype

We are a generation unlike any other, so please bear with us as we find our way.
43

I'm not sure if you watch the show "Survivor" or not, but this season the series was showcasing the Millennials versus Gen X age group. Usually I am a HUGE "Survivor" fanatic; however, this season I was pretty disappointed at the contestants they had chosen to represent the Millennials, who were lazy, uneducated, selfish, entitled, and materialistic.

Regardless of the contestants chosen to represent the Millennials on "Survivor" this year, I am here to tell you that we are not all like that.

Our generation has many things to be proud of.

Did you know that our generation is the most educated generation in Western history?

Our generation has the most higher educational degrees including Bachelor's, Masters's, Doctorate's, and other professional degrees. Going to college is not an easy task. It requires hard work, dedication, and intelligence. If we truly were a lazy and uneducated generation, why are these numbers so high?

Millennials are hard-working individuals who strive to pursue higher education degrees to provide a better future for their spouses, families, and their country.

Yes, we are a technological generation, but that doesn't mean we are materialistic.

OK, I will be the first to admit that our generation uses a lot of social media. We love taking Snapchats, tweeting hilarious tweets, and finding the perfect filters and captions for our latest Instagram post. However, we also use technology for so much more. 46% of Millennials say they use their technological devices for research and study. This goes hand in hand with education. We use our resources wisely and as a result, we have developed a different way of thinking and observing information. Bentley University even stated that Millennials were the future for Digital Media and its advancements.

We handle our finances online through mobile banking, buying insurance, downloading apps for coupons, and engaging in online trading. Technology has allowed us to share ideas freely and easily in a workplace. We use technology to research political occurrences and government happenings to stay educated on what is happening in the world around us.

Technology is everywhere. Instead of turning a shoulder, Millennials embrace it and the changes it brings to society.

They say we are selfish, but I believe we are compassionate.

The Huffington Post states that 61% of Millennials feel responsible for the state of the world and want to make a difference. Walden University states that 81% of Millennials have donated their time, goods, and services to a cause bigger than themselves.

Time and time again, we were taught in school to participate in community service and join as many extracurricular activities to make us a more well-rounded person, but yet we are the "selfish" generation. I've done mission work in another country, participated in many service trips in other states, completed hundreds of community service hours, and I am involved in everything I can possibly put myself in, but we are the "selfish" generation? One report completed by the National Conference on Citizenship even stated that Millennials were more likely to help their neighbors than Generation X.

So if community service and involvement are considered selfish acts to you, then let the Millennials be selfish. In the end, we are the ones making a difference in our neighborhoods, cities, and our country.

We are not entitled, but seeking responsibility.

Yes, we are a generation of confident, loud, outspoken people, but that does not mean we believe we are entitled. If you believe we are entitled, look at the Baby Boomer generation. National debt tripled and money was spent on economic programs that were for short-term gains rather than long-term stability. Now we are paying for their security and well-being without the proof that future generations will be doing that for us. So yes, we do voice our concerns, but our reason is validated, it is for our future anyways.

I'm not saying we are perfect, but neither were the generations before us. We are definitely a work in progress, so please bear with us, we are trying our best. We don't expect a participation ribbon, but we do expect your support like the previous generations gave you.

So please stop looking down upon us; instead, value our generation for what we can bring to the table and the future of America.

I am educated. I am hard-working. I am technological. I am compassionate. I am responsible. I am a Millennial.