"Milk and Honey": A Book Every Modern Woman Needs to Read

'Milk and Honey' Is A book every modern woman needs to read

Abuse, love, break ups and healing, all things we go through that Kaur captures perfectly.

62
Olivia Riccio

In the past couple of months I have been rediscovering my love for poetry, and recently stumbled upon the book "Milk and Honey" by Rupi Kaur. I have heard of the book of poems, but never went out and actually bought. In need of a beach read, I bought it and finished it in an hour.

Kaur takes you on a journey of her life, through all stages of self-love, romantic love, abuse, female empowerment, hurt and healing. Although it is written in her perspective, you cannot help but relate to the short and sweet poems Kaur wrote. Some are accompanied by simplistic drawings, but all have deep meaning even though they are simple.

The book is divided into four sections entitled "the hurting, the loving, the breaking and the healing." Each section has poems related to that stage in life, and I could not stop reading. It was as if some of the poems were talking directly to me, or in my perspective because I could relate so much. I guess that is what poetry is made for, but it was so reassuring that someone wrote so rawly about these topics.

Kaur touches on topics that are very relevant today, like sexual harassment and abuse. She tackles the feeling of women in that situation. She also discusses the idea that women need to keep quiet and have no opinions. A line in an untitled poem reads "You tell me to quiet down cause my opinions make me less beautiful."

Although the topics can get rather dark, I think it is good for women to be sharing their poetry like this, even if makes others a little uncomfortable. It is real, it is happening. We like to put up a front and push the topics aside, but unfortunately, it is happening. Every modern woman should read these collections of poems, because it might inspire them to speak up, not just about their harassment and abuse, but in general.

Kaur does write about love and the bittersweetness that comes along with it. She writes about the good, the bad and the ugly. It makes you understand how painful love can be, but also so blissful that it can heal the world. Of course, it can lead to the breaking, and make you feel like there is nothing left to hope for in the world of romance. But ultimately, you will heal. You will pick yourself back up.

Whether it is damage from romantic love or any other type out there, Kaur stresses that you will be okay. There is nothing wrong with who you are, and you learn things from everyone you meet. Although they may tear you down, you come out stronger on the other side. I think that is an important message that people need to hear today, especially women. You cannot let others drag you down, silence you, dim your light.

"Milk and Honey" opened my eyes to a lot of feelings and experiences either I have had, or have not. It puts a lot into perspective, and I highly recommend it to anyone.