The Military Brat Goes To College

The Military Brat Goes To College

If you're a military brat, you know the struggles of trying to adjust to civilian life in college.

46
The Military Brat Goes To College
Collins Flags

Being raised a military brat is something that most of us military kids seem to enjoy. Military life has so much to offer and you get to experience living all over the country, sometimes all over the world. However, those of us that are military dependents now trying to adjust to the civilian life in college run into some pretty unique struggles in the process.

1. When carded, you hand them your military ID instead of your driver's license

Some people may think it is fake, or even tell you that it doesn't count as a valid ID. Either way they will give you some pretty strange looks, and your friends probably will too. Oh and don't even bother trying to explain how you have a military ID without being enlisted.

2. Military time

Cue more weird looks from your friends! If you slip up and accidentally use military time, hardly anybody will know what you're talking about. Even though military time is more efficient and makes more sense, they will continue to be confused or annoyed every time you use it.

3. You pause before answering the question "Where are you from?"

Maybe you'll answer with "I was born in _____" or "I live in ______", but you've probably never lived anywhere long enough to say you are from there. We each have the standard answer we may give to try to avoid trying to explain why that is such as difficult answer. Either way, this is not a "get to know you" question we look forward to trying to answer.

4. You're freakishly good at packing

You've probably moved so many times that you could pack in your sleep, so move in and move out days are a lot less stressful for you than they may be for everyone else (not a bad thing). Your eyes roll when your roommate starts to nag you about packing a few days before it is time to move out as you think "Please, I'll pack that morning and still have time to grab Starbucks.

5. You reference events by where you lived not what grade you were in

Sam isn't your friend from third grade, she's your friend from Alaska. You didn't break your arm in sixth grade, you broke it in Texas. Even if both are true, it makes more sense to you to group events by location not time.

6. You got it where?

When your friends ask you where you got that shirt or that bag, this is always their response when you say you got it at the BX. Same goes for any reference to the commissary.

7. The thought of settling down somewhere is overwhelming

Unless you enlist or work for the government, you probably won't be able to have a career that lets you move every three years. It may not let you move very far or very often at all. Having to decide where you want to spend a large portion of the rest of your life is a huge decision when you have so many places that you love and so many more places that have people you love. No matter where you end up, three years into it you will probably feel the itch to move somewhere new and start again.

8. You call anyone older than you ma'am or sir

People are usually taken aback when you call them this, even though it should be seen as a sign of respect. It may make them uncomfortable, but you'll most likely keep doing it out of habit. Unless you go college down south this will probably seem weird to most of your friends.

9. Tag chasers are extra annoying to you

When your friends talk about wanting a man in uniform, you can't help but think to yourself "Oh honey, you can't handle military life." It also doesn't help that your friends don't understand that your interest in military guys isn't because they look good in uniform but because of what that uniform means and the life that comes with it.

10. Your friends will never understand what growing up military was like

Military life is great but unless you are lucky enough to find military brat friends in college, it will be tough to find friends who understand what your childhood was like and get all of your military references.