Mid-Semester Crisis

Mid-Semester Crisis

What am I doing in college?

93

Just like myself, many students are entering into their third or fourth week of college. Stamina isn't up as far as it was the week before, and every morning you wake up a little more tired. The days just seem to creep by so much slower but there isn't any more time added to them.

I feel like I've been run over by a car and this week hasn't even started. When your tired everything can seem ten times as bad as it really is. Here are some tips to help you focus on the best of things.

Positive Self Talk

The way we talk to ourselves reflects how we feel. If we beat ourselves up over failing a test it will most likely affect your mood for the rest of the day. Instead, look at the work you did for the test. Did you study? How much did you study? Were your studying methods effective? I find it helpful to track how much I'm studying each week. It helps me physically see where I need to study more.

Major Blues

The middle of the semester is always when I start questioning my major. Is this the right place for me? Do I like what I'm doing? If you're feeling lost in your major go talk to your advisor or friends in your major and other majors. Also, talk to those that are ahead of you in their studies, you may just be in a hard patch right now. Remember the working world will not be identical to your college day so do not get discouraged.

Friends for a Semester

Some of the friends you will make in college will only be there for a few semesters. It's always hard to say goodbye to a friend. If you're feeling lonely because your friends went back home or transferred to another university. Reach out to them! Facetime them or send them a text, because most likely they are feeling the same way you are. If you're looking to make some new friends try out a new club, and remember its always okay to go by yourself.

The Never Ending Race

For many students, this is their last semester in college. The idea of graduating is a relief to some and major pressure on others. I think it is important to remember that you've been doing this for a little over three years at this point. This isn't your first time at the rodeo you know what you need to do to graduate. You made it this far, keep pushing.

If you just started this journey and are already feeling the pressure of graduating. Remember that college is the same length as high school. Just like high school if you blink college will be over and you will be graduating. So take your time and don't waste too much of your time wishing it away.

College is hard no matter how you twist it. We all have struggles that are going on outside of college that affects our studies. It's okay to cry and let it out, but do not let it hinder you. Make another pot of coffee and keep it moving.