mexico, world cup, brazil, terrible loss, lost hope

During The World Cup We believed in you Mexico

Mexicans had their hopes up in their team for the World Cup.

89
flag of mexico

Whether you are a huge soccer fan or not, you still need to have some pride in your country for playing in the World Cup. Honestly, I'm not the biggest fan but I followed along with Mexico because I'm proud of where I come from. Waking up early for those 7 am games was tough. How am I suppose to wake up early if it's summer and I'm supposed to sleep in? So I made some sacrifices in my sleeping schedule. Mexico played their best and fought through until the very end.

Mexico played against Germany in their first game. Germany won last year's World Cup so this was nervewracking to see them play. But guess what? They WON 1-0! They beat the defending World Cup champions. Many Mexicans around were celebrating like crazy. Especially because that day was Father's Day. Mexicans invaded the streets of their hometowns, such as San Diego and LA. People driving around with Mexican flags beeping to all the other Mexicans. People in Mexico City were celebrating as well. And especially the Mexicans in Russia. Mexico has more fans in Russia than any other country for the World Cup. Although the celebration got a little out of control, everybody was happy that Mexico won.

The next game that Mexico played was against South Korea. They easily won 2-1. This meant more celebrating, roaming the streets, celebrating with other Mexicans. This also meant wearing that soccer jersey everywhere to show off that win and being proud of being Mexican. The third game was unexpected though. This was against Sweden. I don't know what happened, but Mexico lost 0-3. It was a devastating loss and by this point, people gave up on Mexico.

South Korea and Germany were playing at the same time. In order for Mexico to qualify for the next round, South Korea had to beat Germany. By this point, Mexicans stopped watching Mexico vs. Sweden game. They were now rooting for South Korea. And it turns out that South Korea won 2-0! This meant that Mexico advanced to the next round! This also meant that Germany was out of the World Cup. The defending World Cup champions were out. There is definitely a curse to that. Mexicans around the world started posting on social media that they owe everything to South Korea and how they would eat Korean BBQ that night. Thanks to them, we advanced.

The next game was against Brazil. Even though I wanted them to win, I already knew that it was impossible. Brazil is the best of the best! Mexico lost 0-2. It was not meant to be for the Mexicans. It was a sad day for Mexico. Even though we lost, we are still proud to be Mexicans and proud of our team for reaching this far in the tournament. It was fun while it lasted. We will see them in 4 more years for the next World Cup!