A Message To The Graduating Class Of 2018

Nothing grows inside your comfort zone.

233

Just last week, I graduated from Nichols College with a BSBA with concentrations in Marketing and Psychology. However, I would say that my comment ceremony was a little extra special because I was given the honor of delivering the Welcome Address to my fellow classmates. After taking the time to write an inspirational message and delivering it, I think that this message speaks beyond just the graduates of Nichols College because it speaks to graduates everywhere.

As we all are stepping out into the real world, I want you to keep the following in mind.

To my fellow graduates;

I want to start off with something that a dear friend once told me, and it is something that I have taken with me since my journey began at Nichols 4 years ago.

Nothing grows inside your comfort zone.

My fellow classmates, think back to our first days in college. None of us knew what to expect, because we were all here to try something new. For some of us, it was the first time having roommates, or living in a different state, or being away from our parents. We took a step outside of our comfort zones to not just further our education, but simply to grow.

As we sit here today, I want you all to think back to that first-night sleeping on campus and that first day walking into class.

But look at us now!

We know where our classes are, exactly where we will find our friends sitting in the dining hall, and what time to get here in order to get a good parking spot.

Here we are, 4 years later. Wiser and smarter, and ready to conquer the world!

Think about how that leap of faith, to try something new, brought us lifelong friendships, lasting memories and an entire class to call a family.

As I stand up here today, I want to admit to you all that speaking here, at our college graduation, was something that I saw as being outside of my comfort zone, but here I am. I pushed myself to do something, that a few years ago, I would have never thought possible.

Nothing grows inside your comfort zone.

As we graduate today and step out into the world, I want to remind you not to be afraid to try something new. Step out of your comfort zone. Apply for that job in a field you never thought about, travel to a country you’ve never heard of, and don’t be afraid to push yourself.

I can confidently say that I know each and every one of you have the ability to push yourselves, further than you ever thought. Think of all the ways you have pushed yourselves already in just the past four years.

One step.

Just one step is all it takes to grow. Being comfortable is easy. Work hard to be uncomfortable and keep challenging yourself. Don’t be afraid of growth. Embrace it with every opportunity that comes your way, and you will open more doors than you could ever imagine. Like they say, if your dreams don’t scare you, they aren’t big enough.

I want to leave you all with this quote from Winnie the Pooh, “You can’t stand in your corner of the forest waiting for others to come to you. You have to go to them sometimes.”

Congratulations to the class of 2018!