Mercury Is In Retrograde... Save Yourselves.

Tips and tricks to get by while the planets are out of whack.

39
NASA

So it's safe to say that 2016 is over -- and it sucked. Especially the end. We literally lost the guy that gave us 'Last Christmas' on Christmas.... and Princess Leia 2 days after, and Grandma Aggie who also happens to be Princess Leia's mom the day after that... Come on now, universe. You could've taken Trump.

With me being the astrologically obsessed space babe I am, I only have one explanation:

MERCURY IS IN RETROGRADE AND WE MUST SUFFER BECAUSE OF IT.

It's the most logical explanation.

Mercury will be in retrograde once the new year begins as well! How can you protect yourself from the general flood of garbage the universe plans to throw at you the entire first week of 2017? Well, I've got you covered. Keep reading to find out!

So, what exactly does Mercury being in retrograde mean?

Simply put, it is a 3-week cycle in which Mercury, usually orbiting forward at a constant rate, slows down and instead appears to move backwards. Of course, it's an optical illusion, but it's still an important phenomenon that happens a few times a year. This time, Mercury in retrograde is scheduled from December 19th to Jan. 8th.

What happens during this time?

During a retrograde cycle, communication generally goes out of whack. Because Mercury rules our communication skills, a lot more misunderstandings and miscommunications occur in all our relationships. This also means a general lack of motivation, as well as creative blocks for people of the artistic type. It's just a generally funky time for any good vibes. I mean, the planets are "moving backwards," so life is backwards too... Makes sense.

How can I make it suck less?

Sadly, you can't stop it from happening. It happens a few times a year. However, here's a schedule of all the retrograde dates for 2017:

Dec. 19th to Jan. 8th (NOW)

Apr. 9th to May 3rd

Aug. 12th to Sept. 5th

Dec. 3rd to Dec. 22nd

And here is a list of things you can do to prepare and endure the cycle:

DO: Clean up and re-organize.

DO: Set up a cleansing crystal grid -- I recommend clear quartz, citrine, aquamarine, and tourmaline for good vibes.

DON'T: Text your ex (don't do it in general because you don't need them, but if you're going to, at least wait until after the retrograde is over).

DO: Tie up loose ends.

DON'T: Start any new projects.

DON'T: Buy any big-ticket items like TVs or a new car

DO: Back up any and all data you have in your phone, laptop, tablet, etc.

DON'T: Take things people say too seriously. It's a bad time to communicate. So let any negativity roll off your back and take it with a grain of salt.

DO: Use this as a time to learn. Mercury is taking you backwards because there is something you need to re-evaluate. Reflect, figure out the lesson, and learn from it.

So there you have it! Your survival kit for the new year. You can thank me later.