Mental Illness In College

Future College Students, Don't Hesitate To Ask For Help With Your Mental Health

Mental health should not be taken lightly. Seek help.

66
Woman

Dear future college students,

Fall semester wasn't exactly how I pictured it. I guess you could say it was a "test run" for me. The endless crying and the frustration I had while also trying to be a scholar was difficult. I had stopped eating for a while as well, and that's my deepest regret. It ended up killing my mood every day. I felt lifeless.

I had no idea what was going on with me, and I didn't want to reach out to anyone. I didn't want to upset my parents or my sister. I felt like a burden to them and to my friends. While my mental health levels were draining, my grades were also affected. I started to get anxiety attacks daily. Everything was turning for the worst, and I started to believe that maybe coming here was a mistake.

But my parents ended up finding out about everything. As I said, they were really worried. I told them everything and I was finally released from that weight. They helped me and advised me along the way. From there, I was encouraged to tell my friends and ask them for help as well.

You might be asking, what was the point of this story? Why would I tell you something so depressing? Well, here's why. You may go through these struggles and wonder if you're really worthy of attending this college. But the reality of the situation is that you're exactly where you're supposed to be. I may just be a college freshman who definitely hasn't experienced such hardships as others, but I know one thing. If you're struggling, don't hesitate to ask for help.

I'm worried about this spring because I don't know if it'll be worse for me, but I know I can count on my family and friends. If you don't really trust anyone else, seek professional help. On campus, there are professionals who can help. Mental health should not be taken lightly. Once again, you were meant to be exactly where you are. Don't think otherwise.