How Mental Health Affects Our Student Athletes

Athletes are tough and resilient, but they suffer from the same mental illnesses as everyone else.

274
Fox Sports

When an athlete hurts their shoulder or blows their knee, they are sent to the training room. They are assessed immediately, then given treatment or sent on their way with a comprehensive rehabilitation program. Perhaps they’re sent to the doctor or even pulled from practice if the injury is serious enough. But what happens when the injury is less visible? What happens when an athlete struggles to get out of bed in the morning, or suffers from severe and crippling anxiety? Most of the time, nothing happens. Most of the time, they keep playing, swimming or running, feeling more and more alone, feeling like no one gives a shit.

Sport teaches you to push through physical discomfort – push through it, push through it. And even when you cannot push anymore, you are still expected to find that something extra and keep pushing. But this mentality does not necessarily translate to mental wellbeing. When an athlete begins to feel constantly down, or struggles to find the motivation to get out of bed, or starts to lose interest in things that used to matter to them, pushing through these feelings may be counterproductive, resulting in a downward spiral of deteriorating mental health. Sport is built on this foundation of toughness – who can go faster, longer or harder – and often, collegiate athletes face an intense pressure to remain strong. For an athlete, admitting feelings of depression or anxiety is usually taken as a sign of weakness, which hinders many from expressing their feelings to coaches and other support staff. Given the fact that coaches are not specifically trained to recognize signs of poor mental health, athletes may remain trapped in a vicious cycle of isolation, frustration and depression, with no way out.

The NCAA is aware of this problem, citing suicide as the No. 2 cause of death for female student-athletes (among the general population it ranks No. 10). Statistics like this have prompted the NCAA to declare mental health a top health priority for student-athletes. However collegiate athletes across all universities in the United States still lack the resources and support that they need. Over and over, physical health continues to be a top concern, while mental health remains largely forgotten. For instance, physical tests, like the one for sickle-cell anemia are mandated by the NCAA, whereas emotional check-ups and mental health screenings are not. According to the Center for Disease Control, Sickle Cell affects less than 1 percent of Americans, while serious mental health issues plague 12 percent of the population, according to the National Eating Disorders Association. Athletic teams often meet with sports psychologists, yet they only discuss things like increasing sports performance, while ignoring mental health. How can university athletic programs be so ignorant to the needs of their athletes? Even when there are support services in place, however, athletes are unlikely to reach out because of the stigma surrounding mental illness in sport. After years of having ‘mental toughness’ drilled into them, it is unsurprising that athletes shy away from admitting weakness and seeking help.

College athletes are tough, strong and resilient; but they are also human. They need better support services for mental health, and a more secure environment in which to voice mental health concerns. We can wait for the NCAA to take responsibility, as the governing body of college sports, to deliver on its promises regarding mental health, or we can take action ourselves. Ask your teammate how they’re doing outside the pool or the field; ask your lab partner how they’re dealing with their injury off the basketball court. Don’t let a teammate get to breaking point before they seek help – it may be too late. Talk about mental health with your team; work to destigmatize it. Mental illness is a problem in all facets of university life, and it is not going to disappear any time soon. Administrations will have to catch up soon, but for now, we all need to do our part in creating a more supportive environment for our student athletes.