5 Mental Health Organizations That Are Helping The Black Community

5 Helpful, Effective Mental Health Resources Specifically For The Black Community

These organizations are qualified, caring, and acknowledging the mental trauma individuals are experiencing.

6668

On May 25, George Floyd died after being pinned to the ground by a Minneapolis police officer. In the last week, protests have sprung up across the nation, demanding justice for Floyd and accountability for police brutality. Social media has also seen widespread conversation regarding Floyd's death, Black Lives Matter, and racism in the United States. Today is #BlackoutTuesday, where many are sharing a single black square to represent unity and support for Black voices.

In light of the heavy climate that our country is facing, it is a safe assumption that many individuals' mental health may be suffering. We wanted to highlight mental health resources and organizations that are Black-owned and prepared to assist in whatever you're going through.

1. Therapy for Black Girls

Dr. Joy Harden Bradford created Therapy for Black Girls to break the stigma surrounding mental health, specifically in regard to Black women. Within Therapy for Black Girls she has a podcast, a blog, and a way for Black women to find a therapist (whether virtual or in-person) that meets their needs. She has created an online wellness community that serves the mental wellbeing of Black women everywhere.

2. Dive in Well

Maryam Ajayi has always loved the idea of wellness. While exploring this industry, she recognized the lack of diversity she saw around her, and how diverse individuals were not being served the same wellness resources and opportunities as others. With Dive in Well, she is bringing resources (both online and in-person), events, and new ideas to diverse communities for the sake of mental wellness and healing.

3. Sista Afya

Sista Afya is a Chicago-based mental wellness resource for Black women to come together and support one another. Their team hosts events, has a helpful list of easy-to-access online resources and strives to meet the needs of everyone who comes their way. They also have their own Sista Afya mental wellness coloring book!

4. The Nap Ministry

The Nap Ministry was founded in 2019 by Tricia Hersey with a message of rest. Hersey is incredibly active on social media and shares advice, resources, and experiences that support mental wellbeing and advocate for racial equality.

5. The Safe Place

The Safe Place is an app created by author and advocate Jasmin Pierre. Pierre has a long history of mental illness. After surviving suicide attempts, her journey of healing led her to fill a hole within her own community. The Safe Place breaks the stigmas surrounding mental illness in the Black community that Pierre felt while she was growing up, and encourages Black men and women to feel comfortable speaking up about their own journey with mental wellness. The app is full of helpful articles and resources, first-hand accounts, and self-assessment questions for individuals to scroll through.

For more resources regarding mental health within Black communities, visit the National Alliance on Mental Illness.

Shop our guide for books every American should read about racism.

As an Amazon Affiliate partner, Odyssey may earn a portion of qualifying sales.

From Your Site Articles