You Need To Start Dealing With Your Mental Health

Mental Health is important and so is your life.

51
Max Pixel

Let's face it, you or someone you know has a mental illness. Whether it's depression, anxiety, stress or something else. Mental Illness can affect anyone, but it's up to you on how you choose to deal with it. There are many reasons why you should stop being embarrassed and deal with your mental illness right away.

1. There Is Plenty Of Help Available

Did you know that only 41 percent of adults in the United States received mental health services within the last year? From therapy to a psychiatrist to your regular doctor, there is plenty of help and treatment options out there for you. The first step is making an appointment with your doctor to go over the options available to you.

2. Other Areas Of Your Life Will Improve

Believe it or not, this is true. When you are dealing with something such as anxiety or depression, it starts to affect other areas of your life. As someone who suffers from both of these things, I noticed when I didn't take care of my mental health, my work and other aspects of my life were affected. Now that I've dealt with it, my life has gotten a lot better. Yours can too!

3. You Might Inspire Someone Else

This one is pretty self-explanatory. It takes a lot of guts to be able to say the words "I suffer from a mental illness." If you can say those words and face that fear of embarrassment then you never know who else you might inspire to tackle their own mental issues. Think about it, someone inspired you to tackle your issues, why not do the same for someone else.

4. You Could Avoid Other Issues

This is one that surprised me, but by not dealing with your mental illness, you are putting yourself at risk for other medical conditions. By not facing your mental illness you are increasing your risk of future health conditions and shortening your lifespan.

5. You See Things Differently

When you're dealing with mental illness, things tend to get a bit cloudy. You may see more negative things our outcomes versus positive ones. Or you simply just see the world as this sad dark place. While the world can be dark at times, this is a sign that you are facing some kind of mental illness. Once you've accomplished the task of seeking help, your life will dramatically start to improve. You'll start to see the world differently and see all the positive and exciting things it has to offer.

6. Everyone Is Dealing With Something

One in five Americans is dealing with some sort of mental health condition. It's safe to say that you are not alone.

7. You're More Than A Diagnosis

Stereotypes are surrounded by everything in our world, including mental illness. There are many stereotypes of what people with mental illness look and act like. The important thing to note is that you are more than your diagnosis. By seeking help and facing your truth you are showing the world that mental illness does not define you, it's just a part of who you are.

8. No One Can Get You Help But You

The first step is admitting you need help, but the second help is actually creating a plan to get the help that you need. I always like to say that no one can help you but you. It's always good to have a support team behind you, but it's your life and you have to take control of it.

Mental health is a tough thing to talk about, but it's something that we need to talk about more. Make sure to take care of your health and get the help you need. Life gets better when you feel better.