Yes, Your Mental Health Comes Before School
Mental Health

Stop Doing Your Homework And Take Care Of Yourself Already

Students need to be reminded that sleep is sometimes more important than finishing a homework assignment.

32
woman sitting at table outside working on homework

The stigma surrounding mental health problems has been, thankfully, minimized within the past few years. However, it has not gone away completely. Older generations — whether that be parents, grandparents, or even professors — still do not share the same views towards mental health that many college students do.

The way students are raised and the type of household they come from affect the way they cope with and perceive mental illnesses. Even with the decline in stigmas, to this day some are still ashamed to admit they need help. Not even that, but so many people struggle with simply recognizing that they need help.

As college students, we are unbelievably overwhelmed with the pressure of perfection. Because going to college has become the "norm" nowadays, we feel as though we have to go that extra step in order to stand out above the rest. We engage ourselves in sports, clubs, and volunteer opportunities, we apply to thousands of jobs and internships, and we strive to have happy, healthy social relationships. Consequently, we don't give ourselves time to breathe.

Have you ever sat back and asked yourself, "Why am I doing this to myself?" Why are we allowing both mental and physical damage to be done to ourselves just to get the grade or make the team? We need to start taking care of our bodies and our minds. And, this starts with admitting that we need help.

If you're stressed, anxious, depressed, feeling alone, or just not feeling like yourself, own up to it. It is OK to not be OK. And, it is OK to ask for help. No matter the background you came from, who you grew up with, or even who you surround yourself with now, there are people that will be there for you.

Colleges and universities need to advocate for this type of mental health awareness. Students would be much more willing to take a mental health day on the days that they are truly struggling if they knew there would be no consequences for it. Why should we be stuck putting a geography quiz before a brain break from the stress that may be eating us alive?

Schoolwork is still important, but not as important as proper mental health. An unhealthy head cannot formulate math problems or write a rhetorical essay, and this needs to be emphasized everywhere.

Regardless of school and family life, the next time you don't feel like yourself, talk to someone. Admit that you are not OK, and face it head-on. It may be challenging at first, but a healthier, happier mind is worth the work put into it. Screw the system, take care of yourself first.