Mental Illness

Mental Illness

Yes, my disorder is a real illness.

9
Mental Illness
Ruby Parkinson, Flickr

ADHD, Depression, Anxiety.

These are just some of the mental health illnesses that get a stigma. Many people don't believe those with these mental illnesses, but why? Because you can't see it? Is it those doctors that say these disorders are over diagnosed? Regardless, the first week in October is Mental Illness Awareness Week and people need to be more educated about mental illnesses.

I can not speak for everyone when I say this but I am tired of people questioning my mental disorder.

The Stigma

The most popular stigma I have received was that I do not actually have the disease. When people say this to me, I just have to laugh. I laugh because this is when I realize these people actually have no clue about mental illnesses. Trust me I would love to be able to sit through a whole 50-minute class without getting distracted by my thoughts, the cars driving by, or any other distraction. Now, I understand this is the response of any college student, however, even when I want to pay attention it happens. Happens during practice and games. I can't control it and I desperately want too.

The Drugs.

When I say this, I think I am speaking for all of those who suffer from some disorder. NO, I WILL NOT SELL YOU MY MEDICATION. Besides the fact it is illegal, I actually need it. I need it to feel like a normal human. Granted, medicine like Vyvanse and Adderall make us users a zombie most of the time and give some of us anxiety. We need it.

Be Aware.

If you know someone with mental illness be aware of the fact that it is an actual illness. Some days are better than others with them. Some may not have accepted their illness yet and may be struggling with coming to terms with it. BE PATIENT. I know for me if I am around a lot of people and there're many things happening, I can sometimes get lost and do not know what to do. I like to call this sensory overload. When this happens, I shut down. I usually just separate myself. I am an outgoing person, so many think something is wrong, but I just don't know where to go because my brain is telling me to do so many different things. I have to just step away to quiet the thoughts and distractions.

I do not speak for everyone when I say this, but I wish my friends knew more about my disorder. I wish they would just realize that I do want to listen to their story, the whole thing. I want those who do not believe anything is wrong with me to just live with my brain for a few days. I just wish more people become more aware of disorders.

In honor of Mental Illness Awareness, in your free time research a mental illness and be aware of it.

Always remember, you may not be aware of what someone else is going through.