Memorial Day... Labor Day... Veteran's Day... What's The Difference?

Three underappreciated holidays that AREN'T all the same

3057
MackMovement Twitter

Memorial day, Labor day and Veterans day… Some of you may read this and wonder the difference between the three holidays or if there is even a difference at all. It’s a common misconception that many “Americans” believe that those three days are the exact same and honor the same people but in reality, they don’t. These three days occur on different times throughout the year, serve different purposes and honor different people all across the nation.

Memorial day takes place on the final Monday in May each year, which is this up and coming Monday the 30th. Many may be aware of this day only because there’s no school or “oh businesses and such are closed”. Yes, some businesses and banks experience different hours of operation and schools are generally closed but that isn’t the point of the holiday. Memorial day is about honoring and remembering those men and women who have lost their lives while serving our nation. Memorial day started as a way to honor Union soldiers during the Civil War. Memorial day was originally known as “decoration day” it wasn’t actually called “Memorial Day” until after World War II. It is traditional to fly the U.S. flag at half staff from dawn until noon. Many people visit cemeteries and memorials, particularly to honor those who have died in military service. Memorial Day has become less of an occasion of remembrance. Many people choose to hold picnics, sports events and family gatherings on this weekend. This day is traditionally seen as the start of the summer season for cultural events. People all across the nation choose to celebrate in different ways, which is great but sometimes it’s questionable if people actually know what they are celebrating or who the day is all about.

Labor day is the first Monday in September each year. Labor day is about acknowledging the economic and social accomplishments of American workers all across the nation. The first Labor day celebrated was September 5th 1882. People put on parades as a way to celebrate those who who spend their life working and laboring. In recent years in some areas parades were proven to be problems so the celebrations seemed to have ceased and become less prominent. The largest difference between Labor day and Memorial day is that Labor day is celebrating present American workers while Memorial day is honoring and remembering those who are no longer with us and who have lost their lives while serving and protecting our country.

Veteran’s day is celebrated on November 11th each year. This day is all about honoring those Veteran’s who have served in the military all across the nation. Veterans Day began as Armistice Day to honor the end of World War I, which officially took place on November 11, 1918. People commemorate this day in all different ways. Some people lay coinage on headstones or fly flags. Something that isn’t well known is that it’s common to lay pennies on grave stones as a sense of remembrance.

There is so much more to these three days than no school and an extra vacation weekend but sadly that’s what most people know these days for. The people honored on these three days deserve so much recognition and respect not only on these three days but everyday. It’s never a bad time to express to people how much you respect them for what they do especially for our country.

I hope this article provides you all with a bit of insight in to differentiating between what Memorial day, Labor day and Veteran’s day. I am solely providing a bit of an outline regarding these three holidays that many of you may already be aware of but it astonishes me that there are so many “Americans” that don’t even know or comprehend the importance or differences regarding these days.

From Your Site Articles