How To Celebrate International Workers Day 2024 (Or May Day)

7 Ways To Celebrate International Workers Day

May 1 Signifies Something Larger Than All Of Us, Join In On The Celebration

1295
diverse group of people arm-in-arm in support of each other for international workers day
Photo by Duy Pham on Unsplash

Happy May, everyone! It's May 1, and that means it's International Workers Day for billions of people across the globe, from Latin America to Africa, Europe, India, and China.

Whether or not you live in a country that officially recognizes International Workers Day, you could still honor the spirit of it and celebrate in your own way. Here are seven ways you might consider doing just that:

1. Share A Labor Movement Quote to Social Media

martin luther king jr delivers a speechDr. Martin Luther King, Jr. gives a speechPhoto by Unseen Histories on Unsplash

Here are some options that would be perfect for Instagram, Facebook, X, or TikTok. What better way to celebrate the day than by amplifying one of these brilliant quotes?

• "All labor that uplifts humanity has dignity and importance and should be undertaken with painstaking excellence". -Martin Luther King, Jr.
  • "The American Labor Movement has consistently demonstrated its devotion to the public interest. It is, and has been, good for all America." -U.S. President John F. Kennedy
  • “Unions have been the only powerful and effective voice working people have ever had in the history of this country.” -Bruce Springsteen

2. Participate in a March or Demonstration

a march for labor rights on may 1 in paris francea large group of people are gathered togetherPhoto by Karollyne Videira Hubert on Unsplash

If you're off of work, you might find a march or demonstration planned in your area in honor of May 1st. There are events going on worldwide, many of them colliding with human rights for Palestine at this moment in time.

3. Find A Community Event Near You

young people hold a picnic on spring day in maypeople sitting on chair eating food during daytimePhoto by Nicole Herrero on Unsplash

Social groups often hold smaller gatherings, such as picnics or meetups, on May 1, including in the United States. Check for events on social media or in your local news to find something near you.

4. Join The Conversation Online

man types on keyboard to participate in an online forumperson using MacBook ProPhoto by Glenn Carstens-Peters on Unsplash

In addition to simply posting a quote, as suggested earlier, you can join the larger conversation happening online around workers' rights. Millions are actively addressing the topic on forums and social networks, and all you have to do is search for the right terms to join the chat.

5. Tour Historical Sites for the Labor Movement

man doing manual labor in carving in front of los angeles buildinggray scale photo of man and woman statuePhoto by Levi Meir Clancy on Unsplash

Whether it's a former union headquarters, a labor hall, or the site of a significant strike or protest, there are plenty of historical sites all around the world that would be interesting to visit on May 1. Check for sites that are near you, close enough for a drive or public transit trip, as these provide great opportunities for reflection and learning.

6. Volunteer

young women volunteer to help those in needPhoto by Ismael Paramo on Unsplash

What better way to honor labor rights than by doing some labor yourself, giving up your time to help those who are in need and less fortunate? Volunteerism tends to boom on May 1 and it's the perfect day to volunteer.

7. Take Action in Solidarity

group of people hold hands on treea group of people holding hands on top of a treePhoto by Shane Rounce on Unsplash

Even if you can't be there personally, post your support online in solidarity with all of the movements and labor efforts happening today around the world.

So what are you waiting for? Get involved. It's a great day to do so and be part of something much larger than ourselves.