Memoirs Of A Band Nerd: Part Eight

Memoirs Of A Band Nerd: Part Eight

The eighth installment in my personal marching band story.

6
Memoirs Of A Band Nerd: Part Eight
Jessica Brackett

This band season was easily the best so far, and with doing so well all season and at Upper State, everyone thought for sure that this year was our year to finally win first.

Working harder than ever, we practiced out on the field constantly. Nothing could get by Dixon during this week, not even the slightest misplacement of feet or the smallest mistake in tuning. He was determined to win. So were we.

The day of State came, and we arrived at the band room early to practice yet again. We went out to the field without our instruments, and marched the show over and over again, ready to win.

This year's competition took place during the day, and the overbearing October sun refused to hide as we arrived at the host high school.

Silently, we unpacked our instruments, each of us focused in on the job we had to do. The time to perform came quickly as it always does, and soon we were marching onto the field, more than just a band- a family.

As we sounded our final magnificent chord, the audience erupted with applause and a standing ovation. We really could win this.

The time for awards came, and we marched onto the field yet again, this time in a big block. The placements began- the announcer slowly called out band names, starting from twelfth place and working his way up. The anticipation was agonizing. Fourth place was next- and our name wasn't called. Top three yet again! Next was third, and I closed my eyes and wished with all my heart that our name would not be called...yet all the wishing in the world didn't stop the announcer from calling out our name. Third place yet again.

We were proud, of course, but we still would've like to have made some improvement. The season had ended.

It was now time to start thinking about next season- we wanted all new uniforms, we needed a new show, and now, a new drum major.

My parents and friends had wanted me to audition the previous year, but I just didn't feel like it. Now, with my senior year coming, I felt like the time was right. I and two others- one of them being my best friend Maria- auditioned.

We waited for so long to get the results, until finally, Dixon called the three of us into his office one day. He was going to tell us who would be drum major, but to drive us crazy he beat around the bush instead of just telling us. Finally, he couldn't waste any more time. "Next year's drum major will be...Raleigh," he said, nodding in my direction.

I was so excited and proud in that moment, and at the time, I had no idea that the season to come would be the best season yet.

Until next time- Raleigh Kennedy