America Has Always Been An Immigrant Nation

This Country is one, that is made from immigrants. No matter the stance you may take on immigration, this is one fact to be known. The U.S. is a melting pot. It was founded on the ideals of freedom of beliefs, religion, speech, etc. Immigrants are what make this country so great.

First and foremost, facts to know about the immigrants in this country. According to CNN, as of 2015, 1,051,031 people were granted permanent residency in the U.S.. And, according to current statistics of 2014 from the MPI, there were 42.4 million immigrants living in the U.S. at that time of three years ago. With the most recent numbers being from 2014, the census concluded that the population in the U.S. was at 318.9 million people. With those current statistics, that shows about 1/4 of the U.S. population is made up of immigrants. We are not talking about a small percentage whatsoever.

So in a nation that is made up of immigrants, why is the main factor of what makes the country so great being lost? Are people forgetting their roots? The new executive order that was put in place which is banning people and refugees from 7 countries: Iraq, Syria, Iran, Somalia, Sudan and Yemen, is appalling to this immigrant nation. The worst part, is that it is affecting those who are legal American citizens traveling maybe to or from these countries. Those who recognize to be a part of this so-called great nation, are being double looked at, and detained.

We are an immigrant nation! This is the basis of how this country was founded! We should not be banning something that is the reason why this country is the melting pot and what made this country great today.