Once You've Met The Parents, Now It's Time To Meet The Friends
Friendships

Once You've Met The Parents, Now It's time To Meet The Friends

When a person who is important to you brings you home to meet the other important people in your life, it can be a whirlwind of an experience.

117
Personal Photo

Nine times out of ten, when you meet an important person in your life, you end up meeting their parents. It might be a significant other or a really good friend, but when someone wants you to meet their parents that probably means that you mean a little more to them than the average Joe. Being the one introduced can be an awkward experience, especially if you're as uncomfortable in social situations as I am. Just as momentous an experience, however, can be meeting the friends. Your friend or significant other's friends can show you a lot about that person. It tells you some things about that person that you weren't around to experience for yourself. These people are the some of the most important people in your person's life, and being introduced to them can speak volumes about the trust that they have in you.

As you might have guessed, I recently met the family and friends of one of my closest friends from school, Maggie. Meeting Maggie's family was something I felt pretty prepared for. I was staying the night at their house for a couple of nights and if they raised such a cool kid how badly could things turn out? I wasn't aware when I embarked on my four hour drive to Illinois, however, that I was going to be meeting a whole other group of people: the friends from back home.

Personally, I either wasn't very close with or haven't kept in touch much with many of my friends from high school. That being the case, I think it was super cool that Maggie is still close with many of her friends from home and that I was able to hear some pre-Butler Maggie stories. All of them were super nice and had some very strong personalities. It took me a while to get used to. If any of you happen to be reading this, don't take that in a bad way. What I mean by this, is that each of you is so true to your personality that all of your unique and wonderful traits are magnified. It can be a little overwhelming all at once to an introvert like myself. Once I sort of got to know you all, (as much as one can get to know another person within the span of a day), I was pleased to have said I met you.

It means a lot to me that I have a friend who trusts me enough to bring me to her home and show me off or make sarcastic remarks about me to the people she loves the most. Hanging out with Maggie while she was around her friends from home was like a completely new experience. Growing up together gave them a view of Maggie that I have yet to attain. They actually know her so well that one of them was able to rattle off just about everything Maggie and I did the day I arrived. Having friends that know you better than you know yourself is a rare and important treasure to have found. I'm glad that one of my closest friends is able to enjoy that.

In conclusion, Monica, Virginia, Kathleen, Caitlin, and anyone else I might have met and forgotten about (sorry if I misspelled your names), it was wonderful to meet you all. Thank you for being friendly towards me and taking care of one of my best friends (but also not letting her head get too big). I'm sure I'll see you again at some point in our lives, but for now liking your Instagram posts will have to suffice. Thank you to Maggie's family for making me feel as welcome as another member of the family, and thank you for letting me stay at your home. Lastly, thank you Maggie for being such an amazing friend and showing me all of these super awesome people in your life. I look forward to coming back to Morton with a few more Maggie stories of my own to tell.