Why Meditation Is So Important

Why Meditation Is So Important

The silence isn't so bad once you get used to it.

167
Why Meditation Is So Important
yogashambhala.com

We spend on average 229,961 hours of our lives sleeping, 32,098 hours eating and 37,935 hours driving, but how much time do we spend taking a step back from the commotion of our everyday lives to reflect upon ourselves and our present state? Not enough, I can tell you that much. We call this practice of becoming aware with our conscious and focusing on our inner self, meditation. As we let our bodies fall into this state of stillness, our minds are able to focus on the present and explore the complexity of our being. Meditation takes many forms and is not limited to one specific focus. Often we meditate in stillness and silence, unless it’s a form of guided meditation. The stillness allows our body to feel whole and connected to itself, while the silence helps our minds to stay present and not get distracted by outside noises. This state of being can be intimidating for some, since we are constantly on the go and communicating with others. Sound can be comforting because it distracts the mind from exploring new depths to our innerselves. However, though it might seem difficult at first, it has many physical and mental benefits that can improve our everyday lives.

To start with the psychological benefits, meditation is key for mental health. As we meditate, our minds begin to cleanse themselves, bringing clarity to our thoughts. Creativity and happiness increases due to the increase of serotonin in our brains and our everyday problems seem smaller, leading to a decrease in stress and anxiety. Our emotional stability increases as we reflect upon the things that matter the most to us. Meditation helps us realize the bigger picture, and with that, allows us to let go of the little stresses in our lives. Meditation also forces us to focus our thoughts, sharpening our minds while also expanding our conscious. We have better concentration thanks to meditation and are overall more at ease with ourselves.

Believe it or not, there are actually a ton of physical benefits that go along with regular meditation as well. Mediation is known to lower high blood pressure that comes along with stress and it lowers the levels of chemicals responsible for anxiety attacks. By relaxing our bodies, tensions decrease leading to less headaches and joint related pains. Mediation increases energy levels by cultivating inner energy and also improves our immune systems. Many people also resort to mediation if they have troubles sleeping because it decreases insomnia.

Overall, mediation improves our quality of living. So next time you find yourself scrolling on Facebook or Twitter for hours, close your laptop, put down your phone and try reflecting on your life. Who knows, you may find a whole new meaning to yourself and the world around you.