Anxiety Medication Isn't Defeating, It's A Win

Medication Doesn't Mean I've Lost My Fight Against Anxiety, It Means I Found A Way To Win

Medication isn't cheating and it isn't weak.

335

I write a lot about how anxiety has constantly affected my life, negatively. For some reason, I always felt like getting a prescription for it would never work. Or I thought the side effects would be too much for me to handle. I'm here to tell you that going on Sertraline was the best decision I've made in a long time. Not to say that everyone with anxiety needs medication, but for those that struggle to cope with it, it can make a huge difference.

I was having panic attacks probably at least once a week. There were times I had to leave work and school simply because I couldn't function anymore. It's an experience I wouldn't wish on my worst enemy. After starting this medication about three months ago, I haven't had any. And if I'm being honest, I didn't even notice the change happening in my body. The first couple of days I struggled with some insomnia and nauseous, but nothing I haven't dealt with before.

By the end of the month, I was suddenly realizing that I wasn't anxious anymore. It's almost like waking up one morning and feeling "fine" for the first time in forever.

I guess the point I'm trying to make is that although not everyone needs medication, the people who do should seek treatment. And some medications might not always work, but there is one for you if you need it. This is the reason we have psychiatrists, therapists, etc. Take advantage of what these people are trained to do.

All in all, I have made a complete change in my life that has affected me for the better. You don't have to lose to anxiety or depression. Medication can help you win.