Mean what you say, and say what you mean.

You won't ever regret saying how you feel, but you'll regret that you didn't get the chance to say it.

2319
Flickr

As January is coming to an end and chapter 1 is closing, I've learned one thing that needs to be addressed. "Mean what you say, and say what you mean" Just in the past couple of months I have watched myself and my friends go through unclear experiences in relationships where people say one thing but do another. And then, we, are left to put together these unfit puzzle pieces and wondering what WE did wrong.

It seems like the latest trend is selfishness and it has never looked good on anyone. It's okay to do things for yourself, it's not okay to purposely shut people out. It's okay to work hard and earn money, it's not okay to turn away people who support that. It's okay to stay in on Friday nights, but it's not okay to cancel plans you made with someone. It's okay to need time alone, but it's not okay to make people feel like they are not important in your life. But maybe that's the case, maybe you don't mean anything to them. But to the person who's using words to give someone hope, but then their actions say otherwise this is to you. Words are the promise, actions are the proof. Mean what you say and say what you mean.

People hold onto words because sometimes it's all that they're given, and if you can't in 2017 be genuine with your words then what in God's name are you doing. At this age of social media everyone is able to vent out their emotions on some level. Maybe it's a subtweet on twitter, or post an indirect but very direct quote on Instagram, or maybe that Odyssey article on Facebook that nonchalantly had a title that says exactly what you wish you could say. But no matter what, you're speaking, you're saying what you mean. But the next part is where everyone, including myself get stuck. We don't mean what we say, and I am not saying we don't mean it. We just can't grow the balls to actually act on it, or maybe we're too afraid to act on it because that makes it real and that makes us vulnerable. It's time to change that.

If you think someone is attractive, tell them. if you think someone is working really hard, tell them. If you want to be with someone, tell them. If you're not sure if you feel the same way about someone anymore, tell them. If someone hurt you, tell them. PLEASE never be afraid to speak up, never be afraid to be the person that says how they feel. Never be afraid to be the person to act on their words. If what you say, and what you do is not good enough for someone then that is their loss. Never leave someone in the dark, stumbling for answers, because I can promise you, they will find the light switch and never look back.