As almost everyone knows, the movie 'Mean Girls' portrays the dramas of high school and the cattiness that can go on between girls. In some cases, that has sadly not changed, but a lot of other things have since the movie's 2004 release.
Besides the fact that The Plastics' phones would have some serious upgrades and Mr. Wiener's Toaster Strudels business would be close to shutting down, here are 10 ways the movie would be different if it were made now in 2018:
1. Instead of a Burn Book, it would be a cyberbully social media account: @BurnBook
Complete with boomerangs of Amber D'Alessio making out with a hot dog.
2. Cady could have saved her embarrassment of her zombie bride costume because she would have seen everyone's costumes on Snapchat beforehand.
In today's time, it would have been so easy for Cady to double check on social media what kind of costumes everyone was wearing at Regina's Halloween party before showing up in her scary zombie bride costume that nearly killed the guy who fell off the ledge of the front porch because he was so scared.
3. Janis would have been invited to Regina's birthday party because it's not a big deal to be lesbian anymore.
Unlike the early 2000's, having a "big lesbian crush" on someone isn't nearly as scandalous.
4. Instead of a 3-way call it would have been a group message.
That would be filled with terms like "lit" and "shook" when describing the various coordinated pink looks for Wednesday's.
5. Gretchen would get jealous when she saw Regina's snap story of her hanging out with Karen without her.
Of course Regina would make sure to create fetch boomerangs to highlight their time together, purposely rubbing Gretchen's nose in it.
6. "One time she met Kim Kardashian on a plane and she told her she had nice contour".
In the scene where all of the not-so-popular people of North Shore High School are raving about how cool, pretty, and popular Regina George is, a couple of them mention how she met John Stamos on a plane and he told her she was pretty.
As relevant (and attractive) as John Stamos still is, if it were in this time, it probably would have been Kim Kardashian telling Regina that she had nice contour- (a compliment that would mean everything to her)
7. "I'm sorry that people are so jealous of me. But I can't help it that I have over 50,000 Instagram followers".
In Gretchen Wiener's ever-so-modest apology speech at the schoolwide intervention, you know she wouldn't have been able to help throwing in her copious amount of Instagram followers before trust falling into the crowd (aka falling on Karen).
8. "I'm not a regular mom, I'm a cool mom. Like Kris Jenner"
Mrs. George is hands down the 2000's version of Kris Jenner. Don't @ me.
9. Selfies. 'Nuff said.
As obsessed with themselves as The Plastics are, you know they would have their phones out every second taking selfies. Regina would be sending scandalous snaps to Aaron Samuels and Karen would probably take them upside down.
10. Karen wouldn't be complaining about having big hips because now it's in to be curvy.
In the scene where The Plastics are standing in front of Regina's mirror nitpicking all of their insecurities, in today's day Karen wouldn't be complaining about having big hips because now it's a good thing to have a bigger butt and hips.
Mean girls opened our eyes to issues and hilarious situations as much as it entertained us. It was ahead of its time and never failed to be a trademark conversation piece. If it were made today, technology would play a prominent role even more so than the original movie. But would we argue if we got a check up on Regina, Cady, and maybe even Ms. Norbury? I think not!
But as different and maybe more relatable Mean Girls would be if it was made now in 2018, it would never beat the 2004 classic that we all know and love.