What I Wish I Could Tell My High School Self

Tips for a better life

185
https://az616578.vo.msecnd.net/files/2018/04/22/6366002943942336841438096166_BeFunky%20Collage.jpg

Recently, I have spent a good amount of time reflecting over the past few years. And as I looked back, I started to regret certain things I did and did not do. I hate that I feel this way because of all the lessons I learned on my path to today. We all wish that we could go back in time and redo particular events, but the reality is we can't. So as a way to settle my heart and mind, here are the things I wish I could have told myself when I was in high school.

1. He's just a boy

The first boy you all in love with will not be the one you marry. Instead, something amazing will happen down the road. He will not be in your life forever, so don't give him more than he deserves. If he doesn't appreciate every part of you, then it isn't worth it. Heart break will happen, but at the end of the day, he's just a boy. There will be more, and there will be the one.

2. Step back and take it all in

Life moves really quickly when you get caught up in it all. When you are more worried about maintaining your schedule than enjoying your life, then you miss a ton. Take a break from the everyday and look around you. See the beauty in your surroundings, the love in the eyes of your family, and clarity of a deep breath. Remember the times when you are most alive.

3. This isn't the end of the world

OK, so he dumped you, or she said something behind your back, it really isn't the end of the world. You won't even remember it in a year or two. There are more important things in life that should have your attention, not the petty thing someone else did. You are destined for much better, don't get caught up in the little things.

4. Quit complaining

Boy oh boy are you spoiled. Your life is great, you have everything you could ever ask for. Just because you are bored or stressed, doesn't mean you have it bad. Life can be hard sometimes but the best way through it is with a smile and a positive attitude. Also, complaining is so unattractive.

5. This is temporary

The pain you feel from that break up or fight with your parents, it's all temporary. You'll get over it and move on pretty quickly. That embarrassing thing you did that "no one can forget," oh they'll forget. The stress you feel about this assignment, you'll get through it.

6. You don't have to be scared

Your house is probably not haunted, and nothing is going to kill you while you sleep. There are people surrounding you that will pick you up when you fall down, there is no need to be afraid. Even if something goes wrong, it will be made right again. Sure, fear is healthy, but the best way to get through it is to talk to someone about it.

7. Stand up for yourself

Don't let people push you down and dim your light. You can believe in yourself, because you are so special and so important. No one deserves to be treated that way. Just think, the worse that could happen is they say no, or they simply don't like you. It is better to have tried than to regret it later.

8. Save your money

You don't need that stupid new thing that everyone has, save that money. One day, you'll have important things that you want, and you want money to afford them. Money doesn't buy happiness, but it does buy food.

9. Apologize

Own up to your mistakes and apologize. Be the bigger person and take the higher road, you'll feel so much relief. And while you're at it, say thank you more often. The people around you do so much for you, the least you can do is thank them. When you do so, don't expect anything in return.

10. Shut up and listen

Sometimes that big mouth of yours really gets in the way. Just sit down, and don't say a word. Maybe you'll hear something you weren't expecting. Maybe people will trust you more because you didn't interject your dumb opinion. Listening is a skill that will make you friends, and keep you out of a lot of trouble. Just shush.