Me Before You: People Don't Change

Me Before You: People Don't Change

I strongly dislike romantic movies, but ironically I saw this movie because of love

131
Me Before You: People Don't Change
Wikipedia

I don’t like romantic movies, not one bit. They aren’t realistic because they set a weird, false, and unobtainable standard for romantic relationships. Don’t get me wrong: there are great romantic movies out there that have great pacing, characters, and blah blah blah, but I find them annoying at best because of what I just said. I’m cynical about love. “But, Indigo, aren’t you a hopeless romantic because you gave a random stranger your number and called it ‘a leap of faith’?” as you say in a nasally voice. Okay okay okay, yeah yeah yeah, I did that, but I’m realistic too. Honestly, if Alex had called me back, I imagined one of the fates of our relationship would end before 4 weeks because I would find out we have nothing in common or he’s racist, misogynist, homophobic, etc. Also, he chews tobacco so I’d end it before it would start. “But, Indigo, you star-“ Okay, please be quiet. I’m trying to write about a particular romantic movie I saw recently.

The only reason I watched Me Before You on opening night was because my friend wanted to see it really bad, but she had no one to go with her. I was in California for the week, and my main goal there was to spend time with friends. I say “yes” because I love her more than I hate romantic movies. When we got to the theater I told her I’m the worst person to bring to these type of movies because I’m cynical, I know how it’s going to end because romantic movies are too predictable and I’ve seen too many movies, and I’m going to talk crap throughout the movie. I’m the worst.

Me Before You is based on Jojo Moyes’ 2012 New York Times’ best-selling novel of the same name. It’s really a modern day adaption of the Beauty and the Beast story trope. A cute, small town girl with a quirky and lovable personality and style named Louisa Clark, who is played by Daenerys Targaryen, is the domestic nurse for a grouchy yet incredibly handsome young man named William Traynor, who is played by Finnick Odair, who is a quadriplegic after a motorcycle hit him two years before.

Louisa was hired by Will’s posh parents to take care of him. Will and his family were freakin’ loaded. They owned a castle! They were super posh (if you don’t know what “posh” means, look it up, you uncultured peasant), but their money couldn’t buy Will’s happiness back after the accident. Before the accident, Will’s money did buy him happiness. He traveled the world, met all the girls, saw all the places, and did all the things. Now he’s sad because he can’t do all the things he used to love. *frowny face* Now he takes out his frustration on everyone who loves him and pushes them away. He’s verbally and emotionally abusive. There I said it.

But Louisa was taking this abuse because she needed to support her family at the moment because her dad was unemployed, and her mom – oh I mean mum – was the only one working in their four family home. Louisa even told Will he needs to chill the hell out and stop making her job a living Hell because she’s just trying to help her family more than help him. So after Will chilled out, Louisa and Will started opening up and sharing their life stories with each other. Louisa grows to like Will. Louisa finds out Will has a power-of-attorney and plans on “dying with dignity” AKA medically assisted suicide, in six months. Because of this information, she wanted to passively persuade Will to continue living life and love it again by taking him out to do fun stuff. They went to an orchestra concert, horse-race, and the Bahamas? (I don’t remember because I spaced out when she bought the tickets, but I remember it was a tropical location). They were having loads of fun together, but there were some things about Louisa that made me side with Will for like the whole movie.

I understood Louisa’s love and need to inspire Will, but she was taking advantage of Will. Louisa was selfish and naive, despite being one of the most selfless people in the movie. She rarely listened to Will when he would say “no.” She constantly pressured him and went against his wishes. Will considered himself a pariah because he couldn’t move anything, but his hands, and hated people pitying him and looking at him. Louisa rushing Will into exposure after two years made him uneasy and resentful (like he always is, so I guess whatever). For example, Will’s wheels (haha “Will’s wheels”) got stuck in the mud in the parking lot of the racetrack. Louisa and Will’s doctor were trying to get him out, but it was no use. Louisa suggested to get some help, but Will said “no” several times, but Louisa ignored him and got a couple of strangers to help. Will got out the mud, but he felt really embarrassed and frustrated. Later, Louisa and friends couldn’t eat at this super posh restaurant next to the race tracks because she wasn’t a “platinum member” according to the hostess. Louisa begs and pleads, but Will’s like “let’s go somewhere else to eat, it’s not a big deal.” And again Louisa ignores him, has a tantrum, disses the hostess just trying to do her job (even though the hostess was condescending about it) and they all leave. Will is again embarrassed and frustrated about the whole day. For me, if a person says “no” I take the rejection and move on and maybe ask later. There’s no point changing someone’s mind if they don’t want to change it. Which leads me to Louisa’s naivety.

People: you cannot change someone who doesn’t want to change. Literally, Will’s ex-girlfriend said that to Louisa. That was definitely foreshadowing. Because you know what happens? *SPOILER ALERT* Will doesn’t change his mind and still plans on killing himself despite falling in love with Louisa and having so much fun during the last six months of his life. She made the end of his life great, but he’s miserable for most his days. He wants to end his suffering. He felt he lived his life to the fullest, especially before the accident. Think about it: aren’t the goals in life love, money, relationships, experiences and happiness? Will sincerely felt he did all of that before he was 30 years old. Louisa ends up getting mad at him for not changing his mind. Lol, nah, girl, you set yourself up for disappointment because you were told not to try to change someone who doesn’t want to change. Yeah, Will was showing signs of enjoying life, but that was another one of your downfalls: you read into things too much. People: don’t read into things. If you want a straight and clear answer, ask, don’t assume.

Me Before You was a good movie with good characters and writing. I liked it. I was just annoyed with Louisa’s naivety more than her selfishness. I saw all this coming. Like the heartless and cynical person I am, I wasn’t crying but everyone in the theater was. I checked my pulse to see if I still had a heart. I then turn to my friend and say “told you he was going to die” but then I see she is wrecked and crying waterfalls. I was like “oh sh*t! I’m so sorry! Oh man, uhh live life to the fullest like Will said?…” Yikes.

The lesson of the story is to get real with yourself, and stop thinking you’re the exception to the rule, (like my favorite romantic comedy, He’s Just Not That Into You, because it’s realistic and dark). You can’t change your bad boy into an angel. Don’t put up with his abuse. Leave his triflin’ ass and find someone who will respect you day in and out. Also, listen to what your significant other says especially when they’re expressing how they feel. Don’t be a tool. I know it sucks when someone doesn’t do what you want them to do, so it’s up to you put your ego in check and construct some coping mechanisms for the rejection. It’ll save you a lot of drama and heartbreak.