Could Math Be The Solution To The Race Problem?

A Critical Response to Robert P. Moses's "Radical Equations"

186

You got me. An article detailing two distinct subjects that people generally don’t like to talk about: math, and racism. But what is the junction that these two topics meet at? Perhaps it is that math is one of those subjects that gets left behind in underprivileged and underfinanced education. Furthermore, perhaps it is that due the implicit segregation and gentrification tactics used by the zoning commissioners.

It is almost observed as a universal truth that people don’t like math. The common reason being that it is difficult. But what makes it difficult? Why is it that supposed mathematicians that are funneled out of ivy covered walls are praised for their achievement while some neighborhoods have their school districts left out of the mathematical conversation entirely.

Robert P. Moses wrote Radical Equations to “provide a model for anyone looking for a community-based solution to the problems of our disadvantaged schools.” And while momentum in communities is so incredibly important as demonstrated by movements such as #MeToo, #TimesUp, and the now-annual Women’s March, it is our duty to either change the administration or challenge it until they are forced to work for us.

Unlike Moses, I believe it is dangerous to draw a direct correlation between the struggle for citizenship in the 1960s where black people were still legally treated as second class citizens, and now where socially they are (with legislation creeping ever so forward from the background). I do agree with Moses that principally, any change has to come from the people themselves as organizations can only step in and accomplish so much and legislature, and the advancement of black people, at this present moment, is not a concern of the national legislation.

“And people will not organize that kind of seminal effort around somebody else’s agenda. It’s got to be internalized—this is our agenda” - Moses

My issue with his correlation is that this stigma goes beyond race, while black people’s inability to vote, did not. While it is true that many impoverished areas have poor education systems, and that a majority makeup of these areas are black people (which while another discussion, is directly tied to this one), the issue that therein lies is that education is a states’ issue, not a national one. Unfortunately, this means that it is entirely up to local legislation to make any significant changes in public curriculum and cannot be simply overturned in Congress. Though, perhaps that could also work in the movement’s favor, as those lobbying for their right to education would be more likely to have direct access to those who represent them.

“You who are poor and oppresses: you need, you must make change. You must fashion a struggle” - Ella Baker

I believe the push needed to create a universal math floor for education must be a national issue if everyone is to come out of public high school with the same foundation. To garner the support needed to overturn legislation in states that still fly Confederate flags, national intervention is needed. Early on in the book, Moses makes a gross oversimplification that he quickly corrects in that black people shy away from technology because it has been instrumental in their oppression.

However, he then does go on to say that “In inner cities or the rural South there’s no tinkering in the garage, with the ambition of designing something better than Microsoft Windows.” I think this statement dates this book. There have been several examples of this in the news (of course there is the more than occasional instance in which a teacher believes a black child’s invention to be a bomb).

Beyond this, in the areas Moses indicates, it is common to find black kids helping out the family by taking on a job or two, leaving them little time to do their homework, not even to mention “tinker in the garage.” Now, that’s not to say there is not a way to balance out time, but when one is already struggling to put food on the table, it is no wonder extra time is allotted to bringing in more income.

Moses also notes that “Countless young Blacks envision becoming the next Michael Jordan, or Whitney Houston, or Master P. Few aim at being the next Steve Jobs, or another George Washington Carver, for that matter.” Here, I agree with Moses. This is a matter of representation. Black people are already at a disadvantage in STEM fields because they do not see themselves represented in popular media engaging in these types of projects. Especially in a day and age when media is relatively universally accessible, it is important for all types of people to be represented in all types of ways. Though, we’re getting better with representation such as films A Wrinkle in Time and Black Panther, showcasing female black scientists at theoretical and technological prime. (Plus, both films are the work of a black director which is another plus).

The popular 90s cartoon, Dexter’s Laboratory, which dealt with an inquisitive caucasian heterosexual boy who created a multitude of inventions and experiments. On the surface, there is nothing wrong with this set up, however the show also portrayed the main female character as ditzy and uninterested in the sciences—enter sexism. There are no examples of black people in science or mathematics in the show. In fact, the only black character is a crime-fighting, television action hero. With representation like that, it is no surprise to me that black youth do not find themselves identifying with mathematics.

As a whole, arts and humanities have better representation in media, and black representation in those fields is only just starting to catch up. Meanwhile, the percentage of black people in mathematics and sciences is beginning to improve as well. The issue with black people and mathematics is that a large percentage do not have mentors in their life outside of school that can teach them in the same way they can with English or humanities subjects. In general, coming off of a high school education, it is common that someone on the street can explain to you the motivations and themes and symbols behind Shakespeare’s Romeo and Juliet, but when asked how to do high-order derivatives a popular answer can be “I never got that stuff either; do the best you can and try not to fail.”

But for black youth, it is different. The institution is already set against us. Education was nonexistent to receive for black Americans mere centuries ago. Then quality education became an issue, and still is. While white people of America have the backs of generations of scholars to look onto, the successor line for black people is shorter. For black people, we have to be better than to even begin to be looked at as equals. A highly educated black woman has just as good as a chance of being hired as a mediocre white man due to racism and sexism. For black people, it is less of a question of desire to achieve, but the necessity to retain economic excellence and societal respect.

The book also features first-person accounts from black youth, such as the following passage:

“My friends question me a lot about what I do. I don't think they understand when I tell them I leave school and go to work at the math lab. They say, “What do you mean, you’re going to work? That’s not working. You’re just going over there and with those computers.” Working is MCDonald’s or Jitney Jungle, to them. They feel like I’m just learning, you know. And most people don’t put work and learning together” -Heather, 16, Jackson, Mississippi.

This girl has made an excellent point in acknowledging that learning is work and takes effort. You have to put a lot in to get anything out of it. While of course having an income is important, like an unpaid internship, learning is invaluable and time is the most sacred resource we have. If we can put time into learning, giving way to the possibility of a brighter future, then our time is well spent.

Another example is the following:

We should have the Algebra Project here but although the school board doesn’t want to admit it, they’re kind of scared. Because when you talk about algebra, a lot of people are not good in math. And here we are saying we want it in middle school. In the middle schools down here, only if you’re in advanced math in eighth grade will you take Algebra I-no pre-algebra. And we want it introduced in sixth and seventh grade. They say “Why bother? It’s not going to be on any of the tests,” and that’s all they’re looking at, I guess” - Shannon, 17, Bennettsville, South Carolina.

Shannon here explicitly calls out what the school board is most likely afraid of—that their test scores will go down because the curriculum the Algebra Project wants to implement does not align with that of the tests the students will be taking, and therefore make the school look bad. And when schools look bad, their funding disappears. Only when their students perform well, do they excel, and that is the vicious cycle many institutions are locked in. Despite this, the students still want it, they are dedicated to having the resources to improve themselves beyond what the school system can offer. Truly, mathematics can be intimidating, it is essentially a whole different language, but to actively want to take on the challenge to better yourself, speaks highly of a dedication to self-excellence, and self-improvement.

A society advances, the requirements to be an active, participating member also increases. This is a generational issue as one that can be observed quite easily if one examines the fact most seven-year-olds know how to flawlessly operate an iPhone, while a seventy-year-old may have trouble opening their email.

Moses argues that mathematics have become integral to “full citizenship” in today’s society as modern technology relies on math to operate; that mechanical operations are the byproduct of a series of equations designed to create specific outcomes, based on predictions made by “crunching numbers” in an office space or blackboard hundreds if not thousands of miles away.

A foundation-level mathematics subject is difficult to establish as not all career paths require an extensive knowledge. Furthermore, as technology advances, the user interface becomes simpler and easier access for the everyday consumer to interact with computers. Inside my personal experiences, outside of mathematics classes I have not come across examples where I need very many math applications beyond Algebra I. What the baseline should be? It's hard to say, especially if discussing the unification of the United States School System.

I do believe, however, that some sort of business math should be integrated either into Economics or a “Life” class for high schoolers though. Because, at the end of the day, mathematically challenged or not, black or white, does anybody actually know how to do taxes?