My Mom's A Pre-School Teacher And Wearing Masks To School In The Fall Won't Be Easy

With the recent pandemic leading to future changes in school policies, students may be required to wear masks during class. Will this work, or will it negatively effect students especially in the lower grade levels?

27
Maddie Puglisi

Thankfully, universities and school districts plan on opening for the next school year, but new policies will be set in place. Due to the recent pandemic, many colleges will have large classes online and small classes will take part in social distancing rules. The desks will be 6 feet apart and students are required to wear masks anytime they are on campus. This doesn't seem too bad, except for it maybe being harder to focus because students will be uncomfortable, but what about the younger students?

My mom has been teaching Pre-K for many years now and she is well aware that coming to school for the first time is not an easy task for four-year-old's. Most of the children usually cry for the first few weeks because of separation anxiety from being away from their parents for the first time.

Imagine how much scarier it will be for the child if the teacher has to wear masks. It's not very easy to be welcoming when you can't even smile.

Along with that, there are many times especially on the first day that my mom has to take the child from the parent's arms and comfort them until they calm down. How is she supposed to do that while being six feet apart? It's not going to happen.

Toys will have to be sanitized after every use which will cause complete chaos during playtime. Kids must learn the concept of sharing but that is going to be hard when they can't play with toys together. The children won't be able to be close at all which will make it harder for students to form close friendships with other kids.

Lastly, wearing masks every day at school is not good for the immune system. At such a young age, children should be building up their immune system so they don't end up in the hospital from getting a simple cold. Wearing masks constantly is weakening their immune system and could be very dangerous especially for young kids.

Wearing masks is definitely becoming more normal in day to day life, but when the fall comes it is going to be tough. School is going to be difficult for students if wearing a mask is required, especially for younger kids.