13 Reasons To Have #MDPride That You Will Miss

Maryland has been my home for the past 13 years of my life and now I will be leaving the nest, flying south to the sunny state of Georgia. While I am excited for the adventures at Emory, I'm going to miss Maryland.

Here are 13 things I'm going to miss about this state.

Our Crabs

These blue crabs are also known as "Maryland crabs."

upload.wikimedia.org

With our location being so close to the Chesapeake Bay and the Atlantic Ocean, our crabs are truly an experience if you visit a crab shack or all you can eat place by the beaches.

Our Flag

#mdpride

https://www.zazzle.com/full_leg_maryland_flag_legg...

We have so much love and pride for our flag here that it is used a print design for almost everything: clothes, cups, shoes, bags, wallets, and etc, and it's hung and waved everywhere. Do you even know what your state flag looks like?

The Sports Hype

Beat that, Philly.

https://947freshfm.radio.com/blogs/capitals-victor...

2018 was a big year for Maryland and sports. During the March Madness season, UMBC's unexpected win against the No.1 seed, UVA shook everyone nationwide, especially those that had brackets with UVA advancing to the Final Four (ME!). This was celebrated for the whole week after where people started to flaunt their UMBC wear more at school and even got a few Snapchat geotags and filters. While we love our Maryland sports teams, we love the Washington Wizards and more recently, the Washington Capitals with their first Stanley Cup win. If you thought Philadelphia was wild with their Superbowl win, the Caps parades are a whole 'nother story. The Metro had announced there were well over 800k riders the day of the parade.

Our Weather

I have never seen something more accurate.

https://www.reddit.com/r/vexillology/comments/3z9x...

The only thing more unexpectable than a teenager's mood is Maryland's weather. There was one Christmas where it was almost 70 degrees and several Aprils where, instead of being showered by the spring rain, it snowed inches. Sometimes, it would be 80 and sunny for the entire week and people would start to pack away heavier clothes, BUT the following week would drop back down to the 50s and windy.

Quince Orchard High School

where countless Friday nights were spent

c1.staticflickr.com

If you're from Moco, you know how spirited Quince Orchard is with our Red Army. The past few years, we've gone to many playoffs and state championships whether it was for football, basketball, baseball, soccer, cross country, the list goes on. Our school really fosters the saying "Work Hard, Play Hard." as many of my peers, including myself, are student-athletes who excel in both academics and extracurriculars. In recent years, the Quince Orchard community has come to several intersections with tragedies which brought everyone together as we pushed through the sorrow and grief together. I will truly miss cheering in the bleacher, chanting QO during the anthem, and singing our song after every touchdown every Friday night. This may seem biased, but I TRULY think Quince Orchard is one of the best schools in the state across all aspects whether it's our strength as a community to endure hardships, our unconditional support for the school, our rigorous excelling academics, or our renowned athletic program.

Our Slang

We call these "Snow Cones," not "Water Ice" @Pennsylvania

c1.staticflickr.com

As I visited other universities along the East Coast such as Tufts and Lehigh, I brought my DMV slang along and these were just a few that no one understood what I was saying:

"I'm hip." = I know

"You siced it" = You over-exaggerated

"Stop boofin'" = Stop playing around

"Why are you so pressed" = Why do you care so much

"I stamp that's a lie" = I swear that's a lie

"What the move" = Where is the party at?

"She's bad/thic." = She's gorgeous

"Ard." = Alright

"That's a bet" = Yay!

"This is boring, let's dip." = Let's leave

"You blow/blowing me." = You're being really annoying

"That's ratchet" = That's low

"Yea, we've been talkin" = We've been flirting but not dating

"Spill the tea!!" = What's the latest gossip/drama

"Moe/Manz/Bruh/Fool/Homeslice/My Dude" = Friends

S'week (aka Beach Week)

https://theseaboard.com/ocean-city-market

To celebrate our graduations from high school and a passageway to college, seniors from counties all around Maryland will drive up to Ocean City (sometimes Rehobeth, Bethany, or Delaware) with their clique, and basically party for the ENTIRE WEEK, all day every day.

**If you want to fiend a Juul, I'd go to the beach during or after s'week.

LaxSzn

Maryland Lacrosse (@TerpsMLax) | Twitter

Since 1971, 29 out of the 43 NCAA championships has had Maryland play in the title game, the last game of the season. Almost every school around Maryland has a lacrosse team. While lacrosse is growing fast in its popularity across the nation, it's heart is in Maryland, even the Lacrosse Museum and National Hall of Fame is located in Baltimore, MD on John Hopkins campus.

the Mansions of Potomac

https://www.zillow.com/homes/for_sale/37257223_zpi...,-77.125483,38.967017,-77.244101_rect/12_zm/1_fr/

On the drives from the suburbs to the cities of Maryland, you will pass through Potomac where there are endless luxury mansions sitting on top of the hills or gated residential with beautiful fountains and 6 car garages. Maybe one drive, you'll even come across Washington Wizards' athlete, John Wall's extravagant estate.

Washington DC

https://www.klm.com/destinations/es/es/article/str...

While driving and parking is a mission in D.C., the metro saves gas and time. There is an abundance of museums and sightseeing spots around D.C: the Washington Monument, the White House, the National Mall, Georgetown, several universities, the Zoo, you get the point. If there is one regret I have, it is not taking advantage of the Metro and our close proximity to a beautiful city.

CAVA!

Build It | CAVA

Some call it a healthier Chipotle. I call it a pricier alternative but well worth it. This growing Mediterranean cuisine has not yet expanded into the Georgia area so it will be a treat for when I come back to Maryland.

Our Counties

https://geology.com/county-map/maryland.shtml

Most times, when asked where we're from, we respond with what county we're from instead of the city.

Hi! I'm from Montgomery County, also known as "Moco" (more MD slang) ((Howard County = "Hoco")).

*Fun fact: University of Maryland College Park names their dorms after the counties of Maryland.

Our Definition of DMV

Prep Hoops All DMV, I-495 All Star team, (Washington, DC Suburban ...

No. Not the Department of Motor Vehicles.

DMV stands for... District of Columbia Maryland Virginia