How Marco Rubio Is Leading The Republican Surge Of 2016

Marco Rubio is the fresh-faced Republican candidate that has the opportunity to unite the Republican Party that has long been divided on many issues.
8

As a 24-year-old Republican, it's difficult to have a civil conversation with others my age as they are currently in the Bernie Sanders bandwagon to get "free stuff." When asked my views, I state them and I immediately get labeled as "insensitive" or "old school," and constantly get asked "how can you be a Hispanic and be a Republican? You're shooting yourself in the foot."

If you are like me and need someone to get behind in the 2016 Presidential Election, I would strongly consider looking at Marco Rubio. The son of Cuban immigrants, Rubio was elected at the age of 28 to the Florida House of Representatives, representing Miami in Florida’s 111th House District where he defeated Democrat Anastasia M. Garcia 72 percent to 28 percent in a January 2000 special election.

In November of that same year, he won re-election unopposed. In 2002, he won re-election to a second full term unopposed. In 2004, he won re-election to a third full term with 66 percent of the vote. In 2006, he won re-election to a fourth full term unopposed.

In May of 2009 Rubio announced he would run for the United States Senate seat. Rubio ended up winning the general election in 2010 with 48.9 percent of the votes, former Florida Governor, Charlie Crist received 29.7 percent as a member of the independent party, and Democrat Kendrick Meek won 20.1 percent of the votes.

Ever since Rubio first came on the scene in 2009, many Republicans like myself have been calling him to be the next GOP nominee. If elected, Rubio will make history. Not only will he be the first Latino president, but at the age of 44, one of the youngest. His youth offers an obvious contrast with both Jeb Bush (63) and Hillary Clinton (68). He is well-liked by the party's moderates, establishment and donors, unlike Texas Sen. Ted Cruz.

In general terms, Rubio has a lot of political similarities to Barack Obama in 2007, (and Bush is not dissimilar to Clinton in 2007 in case you were wondering). Rubio has the same kind of opportunity Obama did to beat the front-runner by running as a youthful, optimistic candidate of the future. It’s no surprise that the Republican Party needs a makeover. The once proud party of Lincoln now faces a pretty difficult rise back to prominence, and Rubio could be the man leading the Republican wave.

According to CNN, of the 60 percent of voters ages 18-29 that voted for the 2012 Presidential Elections, 55 percent were women and 71 percent were Latino. If you are a member of the Republican Party right now, these numbers should scare you deeply for the simple reason that if you never get these voters, the Democratic party will be in power of the White House for a very long time. I’m not saying that the Republican Party has to cast aside their views and morals. However, what I’m saying is they need to rethink some of their ideas and get some new blood in the party.

The issue we face today is much more complicated than before. If someone doesn't believe in abortion, or gay marriage, they are labeled "haters," "Bible thumpers," or "uneducated." America, believe it or not, was founded on all these principles. We should look at these issues more closely, at the end of the day, they are moral truths that can't be changed at their core.

Look, the Republican Party will never be pro-choice or pro-gay marriage, but why can't we both find a middle ground? I’m not saying the Republican Party has to be pro-choice and believe in gay marriage. But, maybe they should be pro-life except in the case of health of the mother. They should be against gay marriage, but should be for a domestic partnership in which both partners are protected by law so in the case of one of them dying, the other isn’t left with anything.

Another stumbling block for the Republican Party has been the whole “Illegal immigration” issue. People like Donald Trump believe all illegals need to leave America, even if you came here as a 2-year-old baby. They believe America is full of Americans… but, unless if you are a Native American, we are all immigrants in this nation. Heck, look at Trump's family—his wife isn't even a "real" American.

Republicans pride themselves in being “The Party of Lincoln”—well, I hope they know Lincoln freed the slaves. Republicans speak of how Ronald Reagan was the greatest president in the history of The United States—well, I hope they know that Reagan granted all illegal immigrants amnesty.

One of the biggest concerns people my age have with Rubio is the idea he wants to deport all illegal immigrants back to their native country. Let me stop you right there: he isn't Trump, he doesn't want to do that. Despite what all the social media posts and photos are saying, Rubio is not against immigrants. What he is against is people jumping a border, not having any identification and having these people who are nowhere in the system running around.

What needs to be done first and foremost is to fix the wall between Mexico and the United States, and then get the people who have been here illegally to pay a fine and be granted a work permit—it's not amnesty, it's just getting everyone in the system so we are safer as a nation—and Rubio realizes that (as you can see here).

Are we seeing a new breed of Republicans on the horizon? Will Marco Rubio be to the Republican Party what Barack Obama was to the Democratic Party? I firmly believe so. The Republicans need someone like Rubio to lead them back into the White House, and the fresh-faced senator from Florida continues to gain momentum over heavyweights like Jeb Bush, Chris Christie and Lindsey Graham.